New Ag Mech teacher joins Bear River herd

Mr. Andrew Barhydt is one of the newest additions to the Bear River staff. Courtesy Photo

With the first quarter coming to a close, many Bruins have gotten to spend the past months getting to know the newest addition to the Bear River Ag Department.

Ag Mechanics teacher Andrew Barhydt explained how the pandemic has affected his first year at Bear River as well as the positive aspects of starting the year off at home.

“I wish my first year at Bear River would’ve been different but I suppose this time away from the classroom isn’t so bad since we don’t really have a shop or facilities for you guys right now,” he said. “I would’ve liked to have been able to start my year off with a bang and be able to build a rapport with my students because I know that many had some mixed experiences with the last couple years. Last year was really rough with the big transition that happened so I look forward to being able to get to know my students, but this isn’t how I imagined starting my year here.”

Although this school year started off unusually, several Ag Mechanics students shared their positive first impressions of Mr. Barhydt and what they expect from the class this year. 

“I believe Mr. Barhydt is a lovely teacher who’s trying his best with this whole COVID/online school situation,” said senior Kadin Dooley. “I met Mr. Barhydt a couple years back at an ag mech competition and you could tell that he had a true passion and love for ag mech right from the beginning and I believe he will bring that same love for ag mech and love for teaching to our school.”

“Mr. Barhydt has been an amazing teacher so far,” said Junior Samuel Marsico. “I can tell he has his own way of teaching his class, but he knows what he is doing and is a genuinely nice guy and great teacher.”

Junior Emma Peacock shared similar sentiments and talked about the benefits that come with the new way of learning.

“I’m looking forward to the fresh start that Ag Mechanics has to offer this year with the new shop and new teachers in the ag wing and I think [Mr. Barhydt] makes a really good addition to the program because he’s a good teacher.”

Mr. Barhydt shared his hopes for Ag Mechanics this year despite the conditions they face.

“I hope, when in person learning returns, the shop is finished so that we can have an amazing experience in ag mechanics and through FFA,” he said. “[M]y hope is to be able to have you guys back on campus and be able to work in the shop and do FFA activities.”

As a closing thought Mr. Barhydt talked about his favorite things about teaching at Bear River thus far and even shared his personal connection to it.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Bruin family,” he said. “I love the spirit and the feeling of belonging and I have a connection to the school because this is where I went to high school. I feel the staff is very friendly and welcoming and I felt [like] a part of the team right away and I didn’t feel like an outcast. I just think it’s an excellent school and we have a lot of really promising students in our program that make me excited to want to teach here.”