Jamie Slining: Rising Taekwondo star

Jamie Slining, a junior, believes Taekwondo teaches qualities that can be helpful for the future. Photo by Hailey Juergenson

One Bruin has fought her way to the top.

Bear River junior Jamie Slining is exceptionally committed to the sport of Taekwondo and commits up to five days a week to practice. She has been participating in the sport for six years and trains at a facility in Auburn.

Slining explained that Taekwondo is a Korean martial art that teaches non-aggressive, ethical systems of self-defense. Taekwondo is a sport that teaches the individual many qualities that can be helpful for the future, she said.

“It teaches me a lot of things such as the five tenets, including courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self control, and indomitable spirit,” said Slining.

Along with learning these important qualities, Slining’s instructor also commented about her strong work ethic with training, such as showing up early to classes and staying late to fully understand the day’s lesson.

“When it comes to work ethic, Jamie is, by far, one the most dedicated students I have ever encountered,” said Josh Szlachciuk, Taekwondo instructor. “Her dedication and determination to learn and be the best at what she does is by far one of her greatest attributes when it comes to training.” 

With her strenuous training, Slining also works hard to compete in one tournament a month. She competes in Poomsae and sparring events at each competition.

“I have traveled to tournaments all over California, plus in Las Vegas and Washington, where I place almost every single tournament third through first place,” she said.

Slining’s trainer talked about her competitiveness and eagerness to compete in major competitions.

“Jamie is one of the students who loves to compete and also wants to participate in every single tournament,” Szlachciuk said. “She is always looking to compete no matter how far away they might be.”

Slining reflected on her feelings after the competitions and how she realized that hard work is the key to success.

“I feel relieved and excited at the same time,” she said. “Knowing that I am the top individual and that all my hard work every week has paid off.”

Slining not only prepares herself for competitions, but also takes the time to help assist teach younger students at the Taekwondo facility.

“I love to help and be an assistant teacher to the students learning skills that are lower belts than I am,” Slining said. 

“Jamie has this ability to make those around her training pushing them to accomplish their goals,” said Szlachciuk. “They respect her for all the accomplishments, her physical abilities, and her skills.”

Slining said she gets a lot of support from her family and friends who help to boost her confidence and fighting skills. Her brother Austin, a sophomore, has been a big part of helping his sister improve.

“I go to her competitions as support, and I help her with fighting techniques because I use to do Taekwondo as well,” he said.

Her best friend Karrine McDonald, a junior, has also encouraged Slining to be better.

“I help her memorize her form, her sparring tools, and I am always there to give her moral support,” said McDonald.

Austin Slining and McDonald reflected on how they feel about Slining’s Taekwondo accomplishments.

“I was surprised and proud of her to be super competitive at that level,” said he said.

“While I was at her school for her black belt ceremony, it was so awesome to see how hard she worked for it,” said McDonald. “I was very proud of her because she works super hard and I was excited to see her believe in herself.”

With so much support from family, friends, and her trainer, Slining continues to train and work hard in Taekwondo.

“I feel like I am able to be a certain person with a definite passion for Taekwondo while I compete and whenever I train,” she said.