Top five binge-worthy Netflix shows

Many students have waded through the television shows available on Netflix during these past few months — some finding their favorites among them. Photo by Ginny

By Zack DeCicco, Guest Contributor

With quarantine, many students had plenty of time to explore the home page of Netflix amidst their boredom. After many hours of binging many television shows, here is a list of the top five Netflix shows to bring out the popcorn and watch before the end of 2020.

At number 5, we have “The Flash.”

This is a fun and action packed superhero show that follows the Barry Allen/The Flash as he protects Central City from villains. The show is filled with humor, drama, and action, creating a very well rounded show. Each season you see, there is another enthralling story to unfold with the Flash and his friends defeating another villain and meeting some new faces along the way. If you enjoy big superhero blockbuster movies, you will definitely enjoy this show. 

Next on the list is “The Queen’s Gambit.”

This interesting Netflix original mini-series that aired in 2020 is a must-watch. The series is filled with great performances and characters that you want to know more about. This is a show that keeps you guessing and you wonder where it is going to end up. With the ending of each episode, you want to continue to the next. You will tell yourself “just one more,” but you end up watching two or three more. It is a captivating story with lovable characters that keep you interested from episode one to episode seven. 

“Schitt’s Creek” is listed as the third contender. 

As a comedy that was created by Eugene Levy and his son Dan Levy, the show is about a rich and popular family who lose everything they own and settle into the small town hotel. The show has fun characters who get these amazing character arcs. The characters you meet at the beginning are far different than those at the end. This is a show that won six Emmys at the 2020 Emmys, including best comedy show, best writing in a comedy show, and all four of the comedy acting categories. 

Next up is “The Office.”

This is one of the most popular comedies of the 21st century. This mockumentary series follows the work life of a paper company. The popularity of the show can be attributed to the relatability the characters have to the audience among many other reasons. The humor works, sure to get everybody clutching their stomachs with laughter. (Watch this show quick because it is leaving Netflix on December 31st!) 

And finally, in the number one spot is “Avatar the Last Airbender.”

This animated show is about a kid becoming the most powerful being in the world, and tells a fun and exciting story in each of its three seasons. Nickelodeon shows normally target young kids, but this show is one that people of all ages can watch and enjoy. Aang, Katara, Sokka, Zuko, Appa, and Momo are fun characters who are different and exciting from your typical cartoon characters. If you enjoy this show, then check out “The Legend of Korra,” the sequel to this show.