Holiday hoedowns hindered by pervasive pandemic

Bruin families decorate their houses and trees to spread Christmas cheer. Photo by Maya Bussinger

Tis’ the season to be jolly; Grab your lights and trees because it’s Christmas time! Even though this year has been way different than everyone thought it would be, we can still have some holiday cheer.

This season, instead of the Grinch stealing Christmas he gave us COVID-19, which honestly is a lot worse. This global pandemic has put a kink in everyone’s usual holiday traditions. Many families are unable to visit family members who are at more risk or of older age. There are lots of new safety protocols for Bruins and Americans to follow, such as small groups of people, six foot distancing, wearing a mask indoors, having all gatherings and parties outdoors, etc.

Even though the world is facing a pandemic, our bruins are still finding ways to celebrate the holidays. Librarian Josie Andrews commented on this. 

“We are kind of lazy decorators,” she said. “but we did get some decorations up last weekend, which is early for my family. “

Some families also aren’t as jolly as others about this holiday season, as Sophomore Caleb Hassfeld expressed a more cynical view. 

“We decorated at the same time as usual because there is no need to boost holiday cheer as a reminder that everything else is going wrong,” he said.

Many families have decided to start the holiday cheer earlier by decorating their homes and trees. Another Christmas activity many people are participating in is driving or walking through towns to see the beautiful Christmas decorations people have put up.  

Some families are unsure if they will be having more than their immediate family around for the holidays. Andrews expressed her own uncertainty.

“If my mom comes, we’ll have crab on Christmas Eve,” she said. “And then probably prepare something special on Christmas day. ”   

Hassfeld plans to follow guidelines to some extent.  

“I will be using hand sanitizer before entering anybody’s home,” he said. “But, I am not going to wear a mask around family in their own home.”  

Hassfeld commented on the diminished size of his 2020 gathering. 

“A very small gathering,” he said. “Under, ten people and all of which are a close family.” 

Sophomore Charles Mostead is also practicing basic safety protocols. 

“We are following safety protocols because everyone has to wear a mask at a Christmas party that we are attending on Christmas Eve,” he said. 

Mrs. Andrews was still optimistic about seeing family and enjoying the great traditions, memories, and food the holidays bring with her entire family. 

“We’ll follow state-mandated safety guidelines as closely as possible,” she said. 

Junior Grayson Scheda and his family are still seeing his grandma, as well as his cousin for the holidays.

“I am seeing my grandma but thankfully none of us have come close to getting COVID,” he said. 

Scheda also follows guidelines outside of just Christmas protocols.

“We are doing the stay at home order,” he said. “I’m wearing masks in public and also trying my best to social distance.”