Surprise snow day extends winter break for students

Trevor Hennig, a senior, points to the day lost from spring break due to the snow day. Photo by Bella Batula

Winter break survived a little bit longer this year at Bear River.

On January 3, Bruins had the day off of school due to severe weather conditions in our area. In addition, icy weather has continued to toy with students as they hope for more snow days.

Principal Amy Besler explained in detail what factors create snow days.

“Snow days are determined at the school district level because our busing, through Durham Transportation, is provided district-wide and in conjunction with other school districts,” she said. “Our district administrators consult in the early morning with Durham and the California Highway Patrol to determine whether or not the roads will be able to be traveled safely that day. On Tuesday, January 3rd, these entities determined that the conditions would be too hazardous in parts of our county to make the bus routes and have students safely navigate their travels to and from school.”

Principal Besler also elaborated on what happens if we have more than two snow days.

“We build two ‘snow make-up days’ into our school calendar: the Monday after Spring Break and the Friday leading into Memorial Day weekend,” she said. “When we utilize those two snow days, it means that we will have school on those make-up days. If we require additional snow days moving forward, we may need to add additional days to the school year.”

Lukas Brodie, a junior, talked about what he did on his day off.

“I went up to the snow with my family and brought my dog, then came back home and drank hot chocolate in front of my fireplace,” he said.

Sophomore Jacob Arshawsky also shared what he was up to on his free day.

“I stayed inside for a while and played guitar,” he said. “Then I went outside and played in the snow with my dog.”

Pippyn Carney, another sophomore, took this opportunity to spend some quality time with her family.

“I found out that we didn’t have school and I went to Tahoe with my family instead,” she said.

Arshawsky and Carney weren’t very opinionated on the use of this snow day.

“I don’t really care… It’s just a day off school,” Arshawsky said.

“I would prefer it in the winter,” Carney said.