Bruins train for sports off-campus in hopes of a season

Bruins play pick-up soccer outside of school. Photo by Daniel Bussinger

Bruin athletes have had a rough year with their sports getting postponed and cancelled. Some athletes have taken advantage of this time and used it to get ready for their season.

Girls Basketball Coach Jeffrey Bickmore commented on some of how the school has been able to keep the players busy and how some players have been getting ready for the season. 

Players have been coming to conditioning and skill training when available.  Also, some are in basketball PE where they work on skills and conditioning every week if they are in hybrid or distance learning. Many of the players are conditioning on a regular basis, but I am not sure about all of them because I have not seen them at conditioning or training.  I have been able to see very few freshmen.”

Varsity Baseball player senior Colby Lunsford explains the type of training he’s been doing to get ready for this year’s season.

”I have been lifting a lot and doing some speed and conditioning stuff to get stronger,” Lunsford said. “On top of that, trying to play catch as many days a week and hitting everyday.”

Lunsford also discusses how he’s been able to play in this Covid time and get reps in. 

I played for a travel team over summer called Chico Aces and this last fall I played for the River Park Eagles,” he said.

Junior Julia Pisenti elaborates on her extra training for track and basketball outside of school.

“I’ve been doing lots of pole vault training outside of school with a private coach and a few kids from around here and sac. We work a few times a week on basic drills and jumping,” Pisenti explained. “I’ve also been doing lots of throwing training at the school by myself. My track coaches have signed me up to compete as an independent so I’ll be able to compete in virtual meets. As for basketball I’ve been able to train with my team a little bit. We aren’t able to pass to each other and we have to stay apart so it’s been a challenge but I have been able to play in a few club games.”

Varsity Football kicker senior Cade Torgerson comments on how he has been training in the offseason for when sports hopefully resume.

”We’ve been conditioning working on agility, strength, and stamina. We haven’t been able to play in real games during Covid,” Torgerson said

Sophomore Austin Phipps explains how training outside of school has become difficult from lack of motivation. 

“It’s been harder to get myself to exercise without a dedicated set of time to do it, but I always make sure to do something to stay in some shape, even if it’s just a small jog or riding a bike,” said Phipps.

During the Covid-19 pandemic it has been tough for students playing sports but Bruin athletes are still doing their best to prepare for the seasons coming up. Students have been putting in the work necessary to succeed in the next season. 

Coach Bickmore adds his hopes that students will get a season this year.

At this point, I am not as concerned about how conditioned players are,” Bickmore said. “I am more concerned that players get an opportunity to come back and play.”

— Maya Bussinger contributed to this report.