COVID throws curveball at Bruins Softball season

The Bruins softball team conditions regularly in anticipation of a season. Photo by Maya Bussinger

Bear River’s Junior Varsity and Varsity Softball players have been conditioning and working toward the prospect of having a good season this year despite COVID setbacks.

Sophomore Sophia Edwards explained the conditioning she has been doing to prepare for the upcoming season.

“I’ll typically go to the gym a couple days a week for some weight training, and then workout at home using a few weights and bodyweight exercises,” Edwards elaborated. “For cardio, I can go on runs around my neighborhood and do sprints up my driveway.”

Sophomore Sarah DeSart and Freshman Genevieve Williams have been playing softball outside of school to help prepare them for their season at Bear River.

“I actually play travel softball so I’ve been practicing and playing for the past couple of months,” said DeSart.

“I had been playing on an 18u travel team until just about two weeks ago,” Williams added.

JV Softball Coach Jeffery Bickmore described the current plan for the season.

“Conditioning should start in the next week or so, depending on the weather,” said Bickmore. “Regular practice should begin in March. I know we will possibly not be able to play the same schedule as we would have before Covid but the games should look similar to normal.” 

Edwards gave an explanation of basic COVID protocols that the teams will likely have to follow.

“I don’t know all the precautions that will have to be taken, but I do know that the players will have to wear their masks to and from the softball field,” Edwards said. “However, we are able to take our masks off once we start practicing. I’m not completely sure how the practices and games will work, but I’m guessing that we will have to stay spaced out, and some players that tend to be closer to each other like catchers and batters, may have to wear masks, especially when playing other teams.”

Coach Bickmore expressed his hope that students will choose to go out for softball, encouraging any newbies as well.

“I would like to encourage freshman and sophomores to start coming out to softball!  Even if girls have never played before we would love to have lots of players competing for Bear River,” said Bickmore.

Williams commented on the work ethic players must have to improve at softball. 

“Practices and games are usually […] pretty fun,” Williams said. “You just have to work hard for how you want to play to become the player you want to be. This year games and practices are gonna be a little different from last year considering COVID.”

Edwards addressed her hopes for a season despite the difficulties.

“My hopes for this season would probably just be being able to get out onto the field and play,” said Edwards. “It would be really nice to be able to play in games and compete but, whether it’s in a game or practice I just look forward to playing some softball.”

DeSart voiced the opinions of all softball players.

“I just hope that we actually get a season!” she said.