Varsity Girls squeak by Center, 56-51

Rebecca Van Patten takes a shot as Bella Batula defends during warm-ups. Photo by Kaylee Guerra

Girls basketball was shooting 3-pointers on the third game of the 2017 season.

On January 20,  the Girl’s Varsity Basketball team earned a win against Center on the third game of the season, defeating Center 56-51. This win left the team with a 2-1 record, with the help of new coach, Randy Billingsley. 

The girls said they are pleased to have Billingsley as their coach. They said he takes the time out of his busy schedule.

“I love Ran-Dog,” said  Alyssa Pulkinghorn, a senior. “He brings such good energy to the team. He doesn’t give up on us and it’s nice to have a coach that cares how we do and what we do.”

“I love him,” said Kylee Dresbach-Hill, a junior. “He was a coach in a young league. He is a good leader that brings amazing energy to the team.”

Coach Billingsley was proud of how the team played against Center.

“I was very pleased with our performance in the game against Center,” he said. “I think we could have been a bit more effective offensively, but Center is a very good defensive team. They had a solid game plan.”

The players think that the team needs more improvement on playing the first half of the game, but believe that they are doing great in the second half.

“As a team, I think we really picked it up in the second half of the game, but we need to work on the first half,” said Dresbach-Hill.

“We went out slow but we really kicked it up during the second half,” said Pulkinghorn. “(We) really need to improve going out strong and we have to run offense strong.” 

Coach Billingsley and the team have high hopes that this season is going to be great and possibly make Sections.

The team is very good at picking it up when we are down,” said Dresbach-Hill. “We so also good at shooting 3-pointers. If we work hard and practice we could beat anyone in League.”

“We are good at keeping the pace strong and we are good at defense,” said Pulkinghorn. “I think we are going to do really good at League. We might get first or second place, but we plan on going to playoffs and making it pretty far there.” 

“Our season is going very well so far,” said Billingsley. “We are currently in a tie for first place in the Pioneer Valley League at 2-1. We control our own destiny as far as the postseason is concerned.  If we maintain our intensity and work ethic, I believe we will contend for a League title.”

Junior Varsity Girls Shelbi Beghetti and Allyson Bonnifield reflected on their second win of the season. They also won their game against Center.

“We started off really good but during the second half we all got really tired,” said Allyson Bonnifield, a sophomore. “It was good that we had a 14-point lead, and we didn’t blow it.”

“I think everyone got really comfortable and everyone started to get tired,” said Shelbi Beghetti, a sophomore. “So the other team started a huge streak when we had too many turnovers. But I think we are going to do fine in League and get a good season record.”