Bruins explore future classes virtually through videos

Bruins, excluding seniors, were provided videos outlining information about available classes by teachers for this year’s virtual Course Preview Day. Photo by Maya Bussinger

In a display of cinematic skill, teachers conducted Course Preview Day through informative films.

To better inform students about the potential classes they could take next year, teachers prepared videos providing more in-depth information. AP instructors also hosted mandatory Zoom meetings in order to answer questions, talk about their classes, and clarify doubts.

Counselor Cindy Henry Grimm informed Bruins about the proceedings of Course Preview Day.

“Teachers [prepared] videos and slideshows to be available for students and parents to view on Wednesday Feb. 10th,” she said. “On that day only, AP, Honors and Dual Enrollment teachers [hosted] live discussions during their office hours for interested students. Students planning to sign up for those classes [needed to] attend as part of the qualifying process.” 

Many Bruins participated in their teachers’ videos by providing a student opinion on the class, such as Junior Molly Fowler.

“I think that getting another student’s opinion of a class before signing up is super important,” she said. “A teacher will know a lot about what content will be taught, etc., but students who have taken a class will have more knowledge on the difficulty and workload of the class.”

Senior Alyssa Downes added to Fowler’s thoughts on the importance of fellow Bruins’ opinions.

“Peer opinion is a big impact,” Downes said. “I have had many friends tell me what classes they enjoyed or not which lead me to take certain classes. Some I enjoyed others I didn’t, but talking to your friends and peers can really help with whatever direction you plan on taking within high school and beyond.”

Emily Adamson, also a senior, considered the balance between workload and enjoyment of a class.

“When a student shares their thoughts and opinions it seems more personal,” said Adamson. “They had to go through the class, do all the work, and then still like the class by the end of it all.”

Following Course Preview Day, Bruins will have until Friday, February 26 to enroll in their classes. Counselor Henry Grimm explained how students will select their classes.

“This year we will be doing an online course selection,” she said. “After course preview, students and parents will have a few days to preview the information, then the window for registration will be open on Feb. 15th. The window will close on Feb. 26th, and while students will be able to see their choices, they will not be able to change them.”

Counselor Henry Grimm gave more information about course enrollment in an email to students.

“While the window is only open for two weeks (Feb. 15 – Feb. 26), counselors can make changes up to April 1st during the one-on-one conferences that follow,” she said. “You are able to schedule those conferences at a time best for you. No changes can be made after that due to the master scheduling process. Please make sure to complete all the steps including reviewing your transcript. Counselors will address your goals, college plans, transcript review and course choices at those conferences, so don’t forget to sign up!”