Bruin PE continuing despite COVID-19 complications

PE+in+previous+years+differed+greatly+in+comparison+to+this+years+hybrid+learning+and+COVID-19+protocols.++Photo+by+Maddie+Meilinger+
PE in previous years differed greatly in comparison to this year’s hybrid learning and COVID-19 protocols. Photo by Maddie Meilinger

Bear River PE is still in action amid COVID-19 difficulties and protocols. 

PE teacher Jeffery Bickmore explained how PE differed this year with the safety rules put in place.

“We follow a lot of the same protocols as the other classes,” said Bickmore. “When indoors we stay at least 6 feet apart and wear masks. Instead of cleaning desks, we have to clean equipment after use.”  

Freshman Abigail Borrego explained how PE worked while distance learning was in effect earlier this year.

“COVID makes it harder to do PE, and [while] we [were] full distance learning, we [didn’t] get to do activities in person,” Boreggo said. “PE was happening before we went back to distance learning, but [during distance learning] we do different workouts on Zoom and assignments.”

Bickmore described the activities students are able to participate in while they are on campus during the hybrid schedule.

“When outside doing activities, like running or playing tennis, we can take off our masks as long as we keep our distance from other classmates,” he said. “We cannot do everything we did before because we have to avoid contact.  We have been playing tennis and badminton when it is cold outside. We try to be outside as much as we can.”

Freshman Mya Marsh elaborated on how students dress on days they have PE class without the usage of locker rooms.

“We have not been able to use the locker rooms because of COVID,” she said. “Since we can’t wear jeans or else we get marked down points, I have to wear leggings on the day I go to PE.”

Freshman Elaine Owyoung explained the workouts and assignments a full distance learner participates in to earn credit.

“All students are required to complete two assignments on their own, no matter if they are distant or not,” said Owyoung. “They are usually two short YouTube workouts. Then for the last assignment, Distance Learners must track 4 miles on a walk or run and submit a screenshot.” 

Freshman Ella West described her opinion of how PE has changed and the safety protocols students are required to follow.

”COVID has affected PE because we have to wear masks anytime we’re inside, [and we] have to wipe everything down before and after we use [it],” she said. “Protocols we follow would be wearing masks, and wiping things down. We can’t be super close to each other. I think for the most part we’re allowed to do everything except for some close contact sports but I’m not really sure.”

Freshman Gretta Barrieau added on to West’s comment on COVID protocols and activities students are allowed to participate in this year.

“We have to wear masks and social distance,” Barrieau said. “We also can’t do some of the activities we normally would. You have to wear a mask and stay six feet apart, [and] you can’t touch the same equipment. We can’t share equipment or do big group activities.” 

Despite the protocols limiting the activities of Bruins PE, students are still able to participate in low contact activities as long as everyone takes the proper precautions. 

Marsh added a final comment on the benefits of this class.

“I like P.E because it is an easy A for me and it allows me to take a break from being in a classroom all the time,” said Marsh. “Despite what most people say, I enjoy getting exercise and learning how to play a new sport.”

-Maya Bussinger contributed to this report