District to combine cohorts on April 5

Sophomore+Robert+Maple+talks+to+a+friend+on+one+of+his+cohorts+in+person+days.+Photo+by+Maya+Bussinger+
Sophomore Robert Maple talks to a friend on one of his cohort’s in person days. Photo by Maya Bussinger

This school year has been mainly based at home for Bear River students, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a return back to a four day school week. 

Bear River students are excited at the prospect of having some return to normalcy at the end of this school year. Students are ready to see their fellow Bruins again.

In an email sent on March 20, Superintendent Brett McFadden and Assistant Superintendent Dan Frisella outlined dates and details regarding the switch.

“The district is happy to announce that all in-person student instruction will transition to a four day per week hybrid instructional model effective Monday, April 5, 2021 (the Monday after the 2021 spring recess),” they said. “With the recent vaccination of a majority of district staff, along with updated state public health and school reopening guidelines, the district believes that it can safely transition to this new instructional model.”

Senior Tyler Arshawsky commented on returning back to school four days a week and the benefits of it.

“I think we should return for a 4 day school week because online school has not been successful for many students, myself included,” he said. “It does not provide the adequate tools for learning and makes it hard for class to be taught appropriately.” 

Arshawsky spoke on how students need the social interaction that this remote school year has been lacking. 

“Aside from education, being at school four days per week will provide many opportunities for socialization that students have been lacking in for nearly the last year,” he said. “Personally, I believe a four day school week would fix many of the problems we have faced over the last year in regards to school.”

Junior Annabelle Boan also remarked on the possibilities that accompany a return to normalcy and everyone being back in school. 

“Sounds like a good idea in theory,” she said. “If we can manage to fit everyone in the classrooms while maintaining 4 foot guidelines then I think it’s a great idea. Actually going to school makes me more motivated to do my classwork, and it’s just nice seeing my friends even if we can’t touch each other.” 

Boan went ahead to comment on how returning to a full four day school week would give people more of a reason to get their schoolwork done. 

“The benefits are more motivation and more face to face interaction between students and teachers, which makes people more comfortable when participating in class,” she said.

Junior Matthew Grimes gave his two cents on why he thinks Bear River should return back to regular school. 

I think we should go back to four-day school,” he said. “We’d get to see friends and hang out at school again and learn for real.

Bruins are ready to get back to normal school and be able to talk to their friends again. They are ready to learn in big classroom settings again. They are ready to see their friends and return to a normal school day. Students are expressing that a full return to school will bring motivation to everybody to perform better in school.