Editorial: ‘Bruins United’ or divided over politics?

Editorial Cartoon by Desi Kreiter

Bruins are feeling the heat of having a new president and it’s causing dissension within the student body.

Bear River is a small school that offers a surprisingly diverse spread of political leanings among students. These students are divided quite evenly when it comes to opinions on the 45th president. The Current staff took a poll of our class, and found that students were divided equally over three points of view: those in support of Trump, those who oppose Trump, and those who are sick of hearing about this feud.

These opposing viewpoints cause a certain type of discord between students over politics.

“You can’t say that people don’t treat each other differently because of political opinions, that happens around here,” said James Lavelle, a senior. “I’ve experienced people that I wouldn’t necessarily call best friends, but friends that I talk to, don’t talk as much (anymore because of my political views).”

According to fellow senior, Breeze Davis, the dissension is evident.

“I feel like there’s definitely a lot of tension between the students, but I also use certain outlets to express it,” she said. “Like in Gov, I’ll raise my hand when (Carrow) asks how we feel but I’m not just gonna go up to someone and say how I feel and tell them that they’re wrong, but I’ll express my views when I’m asked.”

“In class discussions as we are discussing, I still notice the same opinions sort of being strengthened,” said Government and Economics teacher, Jeffrey Carrow. “I haven’t noticed people getting in any sort of specific conflicts with each other in my class.”

“I’ve noticed students in the class will voice their opinions but we don’t directly fire at each other, so I don’t think it’s openly arguing,” Lavelle commented.

Students tend to agree that disagreements in class are handled rather civilly.

“I wouldn’t say we got into it, but I’ve definitely loudly expressed my opinion,” said Davis. “I mean, but so has everyone else, but I’ve never done anything hurtful.”

Seniors and friends Sarah Brennan and Rebecca Van Patten discussed their different political views and their relationship because of it.

“The one time I remember talking about politics was the day of the election and we had our phones and Chromebooks out and we were watching the results come in,” stated Brennan. “It was mostly for the propositions, actually. We haven’t really talked about the president too much but that’s implied from the propositions.”

“We both have very different views,” said Van Patten. “I feel like people’s beliefs come off easily just from family. Usually the way your parents raise you is usually how you get your beliefs, but I definitely have my views with it all.”

The girls talked about the time they discussed Proposition 63 which addressed background checks for ammunitions purchases.

“We were butting heads a little bit because I was complaining because my dad wanted to get some ammo, but he had to get a whole other background check after he just got one for the gun he just bought,”  said Van Patten. “It’s taken a lot of work and it’s taken a lot of money too, it’s just really frustrating.”

“I was raised in a family that has guns, like my uncle shoots all the time,” commented Brennan. “I’ve shot multiple guns so I understand that too. But like my problem with that is, I personally think that any extra step is worth it if it’s going to save one person’s life.”

Although the girls have opposing opinions, they find that discussing these views can actually be enjoyable.

“I’m very passionate about this though, so I can find myself getting caught up in the negative effects,” said Brennan. “But if I can talk to someone about politics, and their opinion has background and has reason to it, and if they are respecting other people’s existence, then I can respect their opinion.”

The importance of differing views is also very evident between Brennan and Van Patten.

“It’s good for yourself to hear different views, but like, our government wouldn’t work if it was all one sided,” commented Brennan.

“That’s what people are so frustrated with in our society: everyone’s like ‘everything has to be Democrats!’ or ‘everything has to be Republican!’ or ‘I’m a super Constitutionalist’ like all this stupid stuff- No! There needs to be like a balance,” Van Patten stated. “Yes, you can have a totally different viewpoint on it, but you’re not going to get anything ever settled unless you have that mentality.”

Ultimately, Bear River students are able to overcome and understand differences, despite existing tensions.

Van Patten perfectly stated the importance of this type of diversity of the student body.

“I think it’s good that not everyone thinks the same, it’s good to have people that butt heads with you, because then you get a different view,” she said. “Like they have reasons. They obviously have a basis for why they think it, so it’s interesting to hear different views.”