Bruin’s COVID-19 graduation draws near

Bruin Seniors sit in Mr. Carrow’s AP Gov class a few weeks before their impending yet largely unknown graduation. Photo by Sara Tate

As the 2020-21 school year nears a close, graduation ceremony plans are still foggy to Bruin seniors.

Graduation is a moment almost every senior looks forward to. It is the end of an old era and the start of a brand new path ahead of them. However, during a difficult and questionable school year, the plans of graduation for the class of 2021 is still very unsure.

Principal Chris Roberts gave an insight of his hopes for this year’s graduation.

“I think more than anything, we are hoping for a full graduation,” said Principal Roberts. “Last year was great, we were kind of working with the parameters given to us by the county. Things have opened up considerably since that time, the parameters that we have now are in effect where I think we can make a full graduation happen.”

Principal Roberts then dived into the main possible plan for graduation this year.

“Our number plan right now is a full graduation on the football field June 11,” he said. “Students would be 4 feet socially distanced on the field,” began Principal Roberts. “At this point, we are working with the county on how many spectators we can have within the stadium for that event. At this point we are under the impression that we can have at least or at most two household members attend.”

It has now been confirmed that four people will be allowed to attend per graduate. He then shared more details about what this plan entailed.

“We are planning on livestreaming the event for those that can’t be in the stadium, live streaming through the internet so they can watch that at home or wherever they may be,” he said. “We’re also considering having over-flow in the theater for that night as well for those who can’t be in the stadiums but want to be on the grounds and watch it.”

Principal Roberts also shared two other possible options for this year’s graduation ceremony, one being the graduation ceremony divided into two cohorts with each graduate’s two family members. This would mean two separate graduation ceremonies with two separate groups of students. The last option is having a graduation like the seniors of the 19’-20’ school year had.

Some seniors graduating this year shared some of their input on the matter of graduation.

“I think graduation should be on the field like always, with no limited guests, but everyone should be socially distancing and wearing masks, including the graduates on the field,” said Senior Allison Johnson.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I don’t know what they are planning. I think they are planning on doing it in person, but I don’t know how they are going to set it up, like how many family members can come. I’m hoping it will be in person, I just don’t know what the guidelines will be,” said Senior Maddie Meilinger.

Senior Tanner Roberts shared a similar response full of optimism towards the situation.

“I’m not sure, but I do trust that what they come up with will be great because I know that what they are doing is best for the students,” he said. “I think it’s going to be like not many people there but I feel it will be a regular graduation because we have had years and years of school. It would be nice to have a normal graduation that many students had.”