Four day school schedule reigns supreme among Bruins

Working at home is effective for many Bruins, leading to more free time. Photo by Maya Bussinger

After a couple months of hybrid students going to school 4 days out of the week, Bruins reflected on their feelings about this schedule and slow return to normalcy, which has been rare during the unusual 2020-21 school year. Despite a few critiques, many Bruins found themselves liking this schedule more than the previous schedules this year.

The 4-days-a-week schedule means that every student attends periods 1-3 on Monday and Thursday, and periods 4-6 on Tuesday and Friday. On Wednesday, there is no instructional time, as it is a full distance learning day. Hybrid students do this in person while the distance learners tune in from home.

Overall, students had generally positive feelings about the 4-days-a-week hybrid schedule.

“I definitely like being back with people,” said Junior Molly Fowler. “I get to see people everyday which is kind of nice and it’s a lot easier to pay attention in class now that we don’t have zoom.”

Some students, like Jack Shilling, a junior, especially like the idea of having Wednesday as a non-instructional day.

“Well I have always been a fan of the 4 day weeks,” he said. “I feel that with the Wednesday off plus the weekends you can get more work done. Staying at home for me has been a big help with the extra day off just cause I feel I can get more work done with less distractions [and] knowing my deadlines. I’m a big fan of these four day weeks.”

English Teacher Toby Barmeyer is also enjoying having the majority of students in the classroom 2 days a week for each class period.

“I think the 4-day-a-week hybrid schedule is the most beneficial for students out of all the schedules this school year as we are able to maximize our class time with each student,” she said. “I like seeing students twice a week, but I do wish we could see them more. I think as the school year progressed, and as COVID cases have declined, it would have been nice to see students four days a week instead of only two. However, I know it is difficult to change our schedule as it is based on the Nevada County Public Health guidelines as well as state guidelines, so this is easier said than done.”

However, Junior Alicia Anderson wasn’t entirely happy with the way it played out.

“I feel like the hybrid was a good idea, but it doesn’t work when other students … get sick, causing other people to be quarantined as well,” she said.

Many Bruins decided that this has been their favorite schedule out of the several schedules they’ve had this year.

“I do prefer it more,” said Shilling. “Wednesday, like I said– you could use it as a work day and to get help from your teachers, so if you are struggling with any work you wouldn’t be able to do with a 5 day week, you can do it there, which has saved me a bunch of times.”

“I do like it, I actually did like being able to sleep in which is kind of a downside, but other than that I really like it.”

Despite some mixed feelings, students were able to reflect on their favorite thing about this schedule, all finding it to be helpful with their education experience.

“[My favorite thing is] getting able to interact with people on a regular basis and ask friends for help in class,” Fowler said.

“My favorite thing about hybrid is being able to be in class and around other students and my teachers,” said Anderson.

Similar to Anderson, Ms. Barmeyer found that her favorite thing about the new schedule was getting to interact with her students much more.

“My favorite thing about this schedule is seeing students in person and having discussions with them,” she said. “I’ve gotten to know students a lot better since we’ve returned to 4-days-a-week and I’ve enjoyed laughing with them and connecting with them. I also like the Wednesday asynchronous work day and office hours as it provides time to work on lesson planning, collaboration, grading, and helping students who want the additional support.”

Overall, Bruins like the idea of having a hybrid schedule that allows them to interact with others for 4 days out of the week.

-Allison Whiting contributed to this report