Ag Sales team earns array of awards at States

Senior Brody Russell, Juniors Alexandra Boatman, Molly Fowler, and Sophomore Caleb McGehee constitute the FFA Agriculture Sales team who brought home many awards from State Competition. Courtesy Photo

Months of practice paid off on May 15 when the Bear River FFA Agricultural Sales team took home several ribbons at State Finals despite COVID-19 challenges.  

The team consisted of Senior Brody Russell, Juniors Alexandra Boatman and Molly Fowler, and Sophomore Caleb McGehee. The team was awarded second place, while Russell achieved the Highest Individual Score and Boatman placed third. 

FFA Advisor Holly Hockett gave an overview of the contest.

Students [competed] to sell an agricultural product to potential customers. They [were] given four scenarios to come up with a sales plan as a team, then pitch their plan to the judges, who [were] acting as managers. After, students compete in an individual sales round where they are working one-on-one with a judge and attempt to close a sale. This year, our product was the California Agriculture License Plates.”

Russell remembered his reaction to the announcement of the results. 

“I was very surprised. I knew that I was good at this but never thought that good. It’s still hard for me to believe but I am so glad that I was able to finish my senior year off strong.”

McGehee recalled how he felt when results were called, remarking on his myriad of emotions.

“I was pretty excited, nervous and happy but I knew we would do well this year as we had a pretty good team.”

Other team members, including Fowler, experienced similar feelings.

“I was super excited. I honestly did not expect us to make the top three, but I’m proud that we did,” she said.

“I was shocked that I got third, but it was really cool and exciting,” said Boatman. 

When asked about their favorite and least favorite parts of the contest, Russell sums up most of the team’s feelings. 

“Favorite part, for me, is that it was very organized and went fast. Least favorite part is that we weren’t in-person and we were not able to meet and talk to others.”

He continued to describe his experience competing on a Zoom platform this year opposed to the typical in-person event. 

“It was a very interesting experience but it had its challenges,” he said. “Internet lag was the biggest problem, but it had some positives. One being how fast the competition took and the very little time we spent waiting.”

Both Fowler and Boatman reported similar feelings to Russell.

“We were still able to compete which was nice, but it was harder having to navigate Zoom for the contest,” said Fowler. “The main difference was that there were no other teams to talk with beforehand to meet new people from other chapters.”

“I liked actually competing and how it prepares you for real life. I did not like the nerves that came before and after the competition,” recalled Boatman. 

McGehee preferred the team work section of the contest.

“My favorite part is the team cooperative section because there is a rubric that we can strictly follow like a script and it is all easy to predict.”

For those thinking about competing or are just curious about the contest, Russell advised that it’s definitely an experience worthwhile.

“For anyone that has thought or considered doing a FFA contest, I can honestly tell you that you should try it,” he said. “It is definitely worth it.”