New coach leads Varsity Girls Basketball

Randy+Billingsley+became+the+new+Varsity+Girls+Basketball+Coach+at+the+beginning+of+the+season.++Photo+by+Bella+Batula+
Randy Billingsley became the new Varsity Girls’ Basketball Coach at the beginning of the season. Photo by Bella Batula

This article is second in a series about new coaches at Bear River.

Bear River’s Girls’ Varsity Basketball Team scored a great coach.

At the start of the season, Coach Randy Billingsley came to Bear River to coach Varsity Girls’ basketball. He most recently coached at Nevada Union High School as an assistant Varsity Girls’ coach.

Coach Billingsley explains how he came to be a part of the Bruin Nation.

“I came to Bear River because there was an opening and I have a great passion for high school basketball,” he said. “I have resided in Nevada County for over seven years and I have always enjoyed giving back to the community, doing what I love.”

Coach Billingsley went on to talk about his past experience with coaching.

“I have coached basketball at many levels for the past 20 plus years,” he said. “I started my coaching career at my alma mater, Moreau Catholic High School in 1992, coaching Freshman boys in the Bay Area.”

Players feel Coach Billingsley is a good match for the team and are glad to have him.

“He came into the season as a fresh start and everyone was skeptical at first but, he came in and brought a new energy and a new team dynamic,” said Kylee Dresbach-Hill, a junior. “The team is really grateful for him dedicating so much time and bringing us up to a whole new standard.”

“He’s really positive and brings a really good energy to our team,” said Alyssa Pulkinghorn, a senior. “He’s really brought us together as a basketball family.”

“He fit perfectly,” said Ashley Albee, a senior. “We’re super grateful to have him as our coach this year.”

Coach Billingsley himself feels like a member of the family.

“I believe I fit in very well with the team,” he said. “They are a great group of young women.  They impress me every day with their performance in classroom as well as their performance on the court.”

Players expressed their appreciation of how caring and devoted Coach Billingsley is.

“He is very hard working,” said Albee. “He reaches out to every single girl individually and he would never give up on us, no matter how many games we lost.”

“He believes in us…” said Pulkinghorn. “Even when we’re in a rough spot.”

“He’s a great mentor and he’s very supportive,” said Dresbach-Hill. “He’s here for his players on and off the court. He’s a great role model.”

Players feel that Coach Billingsley has helped their team improve.

“He pushes us mentally and physically, which is what we need,” said Albee. “He’s made us all much better basketball players.”

“He’s improved us all individually and as a team…” said Pulkinghorn. “He’s made our team way better than it was in previous years”

Coach Billingsley strives to further bring out the team’s potential.

“I think this team is just starting to figure out how well they can really work together,” he said. “If they put it all together, they can truly achieve greatness. We have seen that several times this season already.”