Grass Valley native returns to teach: Brooke Lomeli

Lomeli is the new teacher to meet all of your English needs. Courtesy Photo

Brooke Lomeli is a new English teacher working at Bear River High School. Lomeli has taught at Nevada Union and Marysville High School, making this her first year teaching at Bear River. She’s said that she loves teaching here and the staff is amazing.

Lomeli got her bachelor’s degree at Chico State, and her teaching credential and master’s degree through National University. Not only was she born and raised in the area, but her parents were also born and raised in Grass Valley as well. Lomeli wanted to come back to Grass Valley and teach here, since she found the area a really important part of her life. 

“I’ve been really impressed and overwhelmed with how amazing everyone is. The staff has been so welcoming, helped me so much, especially as a new teacher and a teacher who is pregnant and not going to be here very long,” Lomeli shared. “Also, my students have been amazing, I’ve really seen everyone really treat one another with a lot of respect,” said Lomeli. 

Freshman Aurora Johnson, one of Lomeli’s students, mentioned she enjoys how respecting and understanding Lomeli is. 

“I want to say she’s just understanding and wants to know each and every one of her students, and I find that really helpful,” Johnson explained. “She tries to get to know who you are as a person and kind of implements that and respects your boundaries.”

Lomeli’s parents have been encouraging her since she was little, from a young age when she didn’t believe that she could be a teacher.

“I wasn’t and didn’t necessarily believe that when I was little so it started with them,” Lomeli recalled. “Then once I got older and was really trying to sort out what I was passionate about and what would make me happy in a career, I had an English teacher who really encouraged me to explore. Actually an English teacher at Sierra College really encouraged me to explore the idea of teaching.”

Freshman Milo Hagen, another one of Lomeli’s students, has mentioned that they love Lomeli’s attitude and respect for students. They and other students agree with their statement. 

“She is one of the greatest teachers there is, she gives off such good vibes. She eases into essays and lets us choose our first book to read, and she doesn’t assign homework,” noted Hagen. She is very kind to everyone and is very helpful, and wants to make sure everyone is taken care of.”

Mrs. Lomeli went to NU High School as a student and graduated there. She wanted to teach in the same community since it feels important to her. 

“Bear river has just always had, since I was young, an excellent reputation. It’s a beautiful campus and I like that it’s a bit smaller. I feel like there’s a little bit of a stronger community.”

Students who have Mrs. Lomeli as an English teacher have said they find her understanding and really respectful of people’s boundaries but still tries to pull everyone out of their shell. Mrs. Lomeli has stated she wants to help students feel like they have power and feel capable of doing something more than students think they can do. 

“I love to share those passions with other people and get younger people excited about those types of things,” Lomeli reminisced about why she started teaching.