Dress code: necessary or unfair?

The Bear River dress code printed out, specifying all the rules of Bruin clothing. Photo by Jackson Smith

The Bear River Dress Code has long been controversial and many Bruin girls are upset about the way they have been treated.

Some students feel that the code is overly restrictive and that it focuses on girls over boys.

Junior Paris Breeze sighed when asked if she’s been dress-coded.

“Yes, every single thing I wear; like this shirt.” she gestured down, and pulled up the baggy shirt to reveal a tank top underneath. I was dress-coded today for my shirt,” she explained. “I get dress-coded for wearing the same shirts that everybody else wears at this school.” 

Senior Bella Gonzales is another female student who has often fallen victim to the dress code. She said that she, too, felt targeted by dress code rules.

“[I]f I wore a shirt that was a little bit low cut I would be dress coded [as opposed] to someone else,” she said. “I don’t really get dress-coded on my skirts, it’s mostly tops and tank tops for sure, so I feel targeted in that way. I feel it is biased. I see girls walk around with short shorts or tank tops and I don’t see them get as much attention.”

Gonzales continued, saying that she feels the bias doesn’t stop at just a certain body type but continues onto gender. 

“I have never seen a single guy get dress-coded,” explained Gonzales. “They let guys get away with a lot more, especially on clothes like tank tops.”

Boys like Sophomore Risto Sartori and Senior Morgan Neeb agreed. Sartori described the boys’ dress code as very relaxed. 

“Wearing whatever we want,” he said.

Neeb explained that he sometimes gets to pass the dress code.

“I know in my personal experience, since I like, skateboard, I had pants that had holes on my butt so you could see my underwear and I never got dress coded for it,” he said. “ Girls are more focused when it comes to dress code, they are more of a priority”

Sartori said that he does not get distracted from what girls wear

“No, because I’m minding my own business.”

Neeb had a similar opinion.

“Not really, when I’m in class I’m focusing on school work.” he said. “It’s more restrictive toward women and more targeted toward women.”

For Art Teacher Elizabeth Jens it’s all about the quality of education she gives to her students.

“Depending on the situation I may or may not agree with the dress code,” She said. “My main focus in class is my students’ learning.”

She recalled a time 5 years ago where students were constantly dress-coded for yoga pants and leggings. However with time the rule became less and less a priority. When the dress code was printed out, many were surprised to find that yoga pants still weren’t allowed. However with time no one even thinks of dress-coding yoga pants anymore. 

Mrs. Jens had a firm opinion on if her students’ clothes affected her teaching at all. 

“No, definitely not.”