Bruin leadership envisions the future

Leadership+helps+plan+and+create+signage+for+school+functions.++Photo+by+Kenny+Baltz+
Leadership helps plan and create signage for school functions. Photo by Kenny Baltz

Bruin Leadership has big plans for the coming weeks, including a Vegas themed homecoming week and a football game dedicated to our heroes in blue, green, and red.

Homecoming week will include spirit days throughout, Club Rush on Tuesday the 22nd, and the annual powder-puff game among a myriad of other plans.

Senior and ASB President Ana Hamilton outlined the details of homecoming week.

“We have homecoming coming up, the 20th through the 25th,” she said. “So we’ll have a spirit week and then events throughout the week. We’ll have a movie night, possibly on the field. And then, the homecoming dance, powder puff, the homecoming football game, the volleyball game that we’ll encourage students to go to and dress up for. Our homecoming theme this year is Vegas and casino themed. So it’ll be like a semi-formal for the dance. It’ll be decorated like a casino [with] Vegas lights and signs and all that, the strip and everything.”

Leadership Teacher Jessica Lee talked more about the weeks just before homecoming.

“The next couple weeks we have powderpuff practice for Juniors and Seniors four days a week. It’s going to be non-stop planning for homecoming, making sure hallway decorations are up and going, we’re going to have club rush that week, we have a USA game for our first home football game and heroes night where we want to recognize local military, law enforcement, and fire personnel. And we have our first pump up party in almost two weeks.”

Four hallways will be decorated in anticipation of the homecoming dance. Junior Dakota Ayestaran spoke more about the specifics.

“Each class, Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, is going to decorate a hallway and it’s going to be casino themed, island themed,” he said. “It’s all Vegas and there’s a lot of Vegas you can decorate with.”

Leadership is considering increasing homecoming ticket prices this year in order to improve the overall experience.

“We’re thinking we might make them a little more expensive,” said Senior Jake Van Bourgondien. “$10 is cheap right? If we make it more expensive, the props we can get really opens up. So we have to invest into the quality of our dances. We’re talking about homecoming right now and how to do that. Ticket pricing, and how we’re going to integrate guest passes because of the COVID-19 regulations.”

Since the return of in person school, Bruin Leadership has had more freedom to work with. 

“I’m really excited to be able to have more normal events and a normal year all around,” said Hamilton. “Even last year, we couldn’t do things like powder-puff and homecoming and things like that. Along with dances and different things- even though there’s a big possibility that they could get cancelled or postponed- we still have a much more positive outlook for it and there’s a lot more of a chance that it could happen. And then, again, all the events and going to sporting events and kind of just getting back to school spirit and being Bear River.”

Leadership talked about some of the things that they are most excited for in the upcoming weeks.

“I would say I’m most excited for announcing the powderpuff game with Jake Van Bourgondien because it’ll be a lot of fun,” said Ayestaran.

I’m most excited to, hopefully, have lots of events that we can actually participate in and getting students back involved in activities. Seeing kids on campus has been good for everybody. It’s been good for teachers, it’s been good for me. I like seeing students. I think the first week back and lunchtime activities went really well, the rally went really well. I would like to see more of that, where students are getting to interact with each other and have fun.

“I’m most excited to, hopefully, have lots of events that we can actually participate in and getting students back involved in activities,” said Mrs. Lee. “Seeing kids on campus has been good for everybody. It’s been good for teachers, it’s been good for me. I like seeing students. I think the first week back and lunchtime activities went really well, the rally went really well. I would like to see more of that, where students are getting to interact with each other and have fun.”