Reduced audience size provokes enthusiasm

Students going to games boosts school spirit. Photo by Maya Bussinger

The new COVID-19 protocol of limiting the admission count for football games to 499 available tickets has become a topic for debate. Most students wish that more people should be allowed to attend the games, but despite the limitations, the games have still been decidedly successful.

Senior varsity football player Ryder Holcomb gave his opinion on how necessary he believes the restrictions are.

“I think that the limitations are a bit excessive,” said Holcomb. “People understand the risk they are taking when they choose to go to the games, yet it is also important to keep people safe. It is a complicated subject, but I think it could have been handled better.”

Senior Julia Pisenti expressed her point of view on whether or not the limitations are needed, explaining that there is no easy resolution.

“I think that’s a hard question to answer,” she said. “There’s many factors that can lean either way, but I think the school is trying it’s best to do what they can to keep activities as normal as they can.”

Despite the regulations, Bruins found the games to be incredibly successful, with the help of the enthusiastic student section and lots of food sold from the cookhouse. 

Junior Aimee Brink conveyed how well the cookhouse did despite the expectation of fewer people attending the games.

“We sold out on our cobbler and almost sold out on tri-tip sandwiches,” said Brink. “We made less food than we usually do because we expected to sell less at a small game.”

Pisenti explained how the cookhouse depends on large audiences at games to buy the food, but even though this crowd was forced to be smaller, there was still a decent amount of customers. 

“At the cookhouse we really rely on huge crowds to buy tri tip,” Pisenti said. “Those from all over the community spread the word and friends and family will come to the games just as much for the food as they do for the football. We had a good turnout, but it could have been better without the limitations.”

Holcomb mentioned how the student section seemed especially enthusiastic and loud during the games.

“I felt that the stands were still very packed and lively, and the student section truly made a difference,” he said. “I would say that it was the most insane student section I’ve ever seen, even though there was a limited attendance.”

Pisenti agreed, adding that the energy from the audience suggested that the Bruins were making the best of their limited numbers.

“I think because a limited amount of people were allowed to come, those who could wanted to make it special,” said Pisenti. “The students and parents there made it an extremely spirited event. It was the most hyped student den I had been in, despite its lack of a large crowd.”

JV football coach Jeremy Kerr expressed the vigor that the enthusiastic crowd brought upon the players on the field.

“The student section was incredible,” Kerr said. “They brought so much joy and happiness and it was awesome. Even Varsity and JV- we could hear them louder probably than the last five years. Even prior to the pandemic, they were louder. It was nice having a crowd.”

Audience members and players alike agree that despite the limitations, games have so far been extremely worth it.

When asked about the success of the first football game of the year, sophomore varsity football player Tyler Hueseveldt responded with positivity.

“I did find it successful,” he said. “It was still a lot of fun despite the loss.”

Holcomb described how hard the football players have been practicing and no matter how limited the crowd may be, they will still give each game their all.

“The games are always going to be worth it,” said Holcomb. “The team last year practiced for almost nine months, and never gave up. Our motto that season (so to speak) was ‘just one game’. We weren’t guaranteed any game, but we never lost hope. When we finally were granted a shortened season, only parents were allowed to come into the stadium. Nevertheless, the team played their hearts out. This can translate into this year because we have proven that it isn’t about the audience, it’s for the love of the game. No matter what restrictions are set in place, we will play each game like it’s our last, because as history has shown, each one could be.”

Pisenti agreed that the games have so far been extremely rewarding and will continue to be as well.

“I do believe that despite these limits, games within the future will stay successful,” she said. “Whether or not Bear River takes a win on the field, it’s about bringing the community together. Even when we can’t all be there, we find a way to show support and keep our heads up.”