Boys soccer team forms bonds throughout season

Bruins soccer competed at home against Colfax. Photo by Maya Bussinger

Bear River boys soccer is back on the field and feeling great. 

Varsity boys soccer has received plenty of support and student spirit since last year’s cancellations. Bear River is currently 1-8 in the season and 0-4 in league games. 

Although some games have not gone as expected, the team has maintained high spirits and has stayed motivated to finish out the season. 

With 20 players on varsity, the Bruins have been easily able to rotate in new players, and they have created a comfortable and close atmosphere. Head coach Tim McShane has done a great job leading these boys to play soccer the right way. 

Throughout last school year’s uncertainty, this year has definitely had a much more optimistic feel. Bear River soccer has played a majority of games on the road. With schools like El Dorado and Golden Sierra, most games have been an hour away or more. The journey for the soccer boys have become a regular occurrence. With home games against Foothill, Lindhurst, Center, and Marysville, our community has the great opportunity to support soccer during the stretch of home games. 

Senior Ryder Holcomb stated that he has never played soccer prior to this year, but he is having a great time learning the ways of the sport with a very patient and accepting coach. 

“Meeting Coach Tim was awesome,” he said. “He was totally okay with the fact that I have never played soccer, and it was his goal to make me into a true soccer player.” 

Holcomb also shared that Bear River soccer has maintained a great level of chemistry. Despite the diversity of age and class, the team always comes together when it matters most. 

“Our team atmosphere is very unique,” he said. “We have so many different people from different age groups, and I really think it helps with our overall dynamic as a team.” 

Holcomb has had a great high school career, being a multi-sport athlete with baseball, football, and now soccer. Holcomb proves that with commitment and optimism, students should feel comfortable being able to try new sports and new opportunities. 

Senior Angus Watkins shared some positive insight about McShane. 

“The relationship our coach has with the team is good; he is always trying to get along with every single one of us,” Watkins said.

McShane has received nothing but positive feedback from his players and our community. All 20 players have had a great season to remember. With new and experienced players, and a supportive coach that provides an open atmosphere, Bear River soccer is in great shape for a successful remainder of the season.