Hoping for Homecoming

The+basketball+homecoming+dance+means+a+whole+new+spirit+week.++Photo+by+Benny+Gullo+
The basketball homecoming dance means a whole new spirit week. Photo by Benny Gullo

Starting January 24th Bruins are getting ready for another spirit week. Many had hoped at the end of the week to celebrate with the basketball Roaring ‘20s Homecoming dance. However, due to the recent surge of ongoing COVID-19 cases, the dance has been postponed to late February. 

Junior Drake Woodford shows his understanding of the situation,

“I don’t mind if it’s just postponed, but it would suck if it was canceled,” said Woodford

Our bruins are more excited than ever for these upcoming spirit days. Freshman Adam Baltz is among the ecstatic bruins.

“They are good choices. I feel like last spirit week choices weren’t really the best, but these ones, these ones are pretty great.” Baltz said

On Monday bruins are encouraged to wear their wackiest hat or craziest hair, Tuesday is “Country Club versus Country Roads”. On this day bruins get to pick whether they would like to dress up posh and preppy, or country with flannel and cowboy boots. Wednesday is the famous TikTok inspired, “Anything but a backpack” day. Students will carry their school supplies in anything but a backpack. Thursday is “Soccer Moms versus Football Dads.” Our students are given the option to dress up like a stereotypical suburban mom, or dad. Finally, Friday is the traditional class color day to show your class pride for the rally that day.

“They’re better, I like the “Anything but a backpack” day,” explains Senior Arden Franks. 

Woodford shares the enthusiasm for the Wednesday spirit week.

“Yeah I like that one, I’m very excited for spirit week, ” he said.

The rally on Friday isn’t just like a normal rally, but the Future Bruin Day Rally. This is when incoming freshmen from Magnolia walk up to Bear River to learn more about our Bruin Pride. 

The future Bruins listen to different clubs present, then they attend the rally to show our school pride and get our incoming students excited for high school. After the rally, the future freshmen eat lunch with our leadership class, then they are organized into groups and are taken on a tour of our campus. Most of our Bruins remember their Future Bruin day fondly.

“Yeah I liked it, walking around, I felt accepted and liked being treated just like everyone else,” says Baltz.

Woodford explains reminiscing over his rally day.

“I remember my future Bruin day, I like having known someone on campus when I came to a new school, I felt cool hanging out with the older students”  

Through the disappointment of the postponed dance, our Bruins shine through looking forward to the new fun spirit day, and the anticipated Future Bruin Day.