Bear River Picks New ASB Cabinet

It’s finally that time of the year where we start looking ahead to see what may be in store for Bear River in 2023-24. On April 14, the new ASB Student Cabinet was chosen to help make a big difference within our school. The winning candidates for next year’s cabinet are Gabby Gerster, Maliya Mendoza, Blake Simning and Maylen Cha. 

This year there were changes to how the elections were held. 

“What’s different about our ASB elections this year is that each candidate is running to be a part of the ASB cabinet,” current ASB Vice President Liv DesAutels said. “So last year and years prior, people ran for certain positions … but this time we are making those positions appointed. So, once they are accepted into the cabinet, the leadership class, executive council and Mrs. Lee will then place the candidates where we feel they will best perform.” 

We may have seen their faces around campus, but who are they and what are their plans for next year? 

“Next year I really wanna focus on communications with the student body,” sophomore Gabby Gerster said. “I wanna solidify certain places and areas to find communication. I think we’re starting up student council meetings again so that people will get to express what they feel about our student body in a more formal environment, which I think is super beneficial.”

Simning says he’s wanting to bring more sports into the school year as well. 

“My plans for next year would probably be to bring more sports into the activities that we host in leadership, ’cause I feel like most kids at our school … are athletes of some sort,” he said.

Some students have been thinking about running for student leadership positions from the very beginning of their high school career. With certain requirements in place to be able to run, this is quite an exciting time for those that have been waiting. 

Mendoza said being a part of the next year’s ASB cabinet is special to her.

“I’m really excited, I’ve wanted this for a really long time,” she explained. “I think it was a really good relief because I’ve been working for this since freshman year, and I think it was just that ‘I finally did it’ type thing”

This amazing group of people hope to do a good job running ASB next year. Just like Cha said, “I really do believe in everyone and I will make a good job of it.” 

Good luck to our new cabinet.