Bruins Show Love on Earth Day

Caring for the earth on Earth Day had Bear River students getting outside. Photo by Esmé Guerra

How many people can say they’ve done something within recent years to help better the environment in honor of Earth Day? Sure, in our youth we may have buried seeds for plants with our class or family, but as we mature we ironically seem to care less about the world around us. 

Many Bruins found ways to honor Mother Earth.

Senior Janine McCluskey typically enjoys her Earth Day by connecting with our environment — hiking in the woods and setting up a picnic are her usual rituals. As she states, McCluskey wants to “enjoy the earth while it’s still here and before it dies.” McCluskey added that her picnic was “oh my god, so good.”

Freshmen Gabby Kitchen and Quinn Taylor said they would like to plant a tree. Kitchen also mentioned that she consistently helps the earth, not only on one day per year. “I raise pigs and breed them and I sell them to foragers. Foragers help (the environment), like sometimes we do beach cleanups and we can help people get trailers to help them get their animals to places safely.”

Taylor later said that, while he was not able to plant a tree, he did “go on a nice walk”.

Another senior, Jay Truesdell, said she was considering doing a small beach clean up. Sadly, though, she was not able to complete this goal in time for Earth Day. However, she still made an effort to care for the planet by taking extra time to sort through her recycling. 

Jonas Edgar, a sophomore, had a simple but effective (and highly achievable) goal planned for the holiday, stating “I could water my plants [for Earth Day]”. Though a small goal, the effects reach far. Supporting the planet and all the plants growing on it can start in one’s own backyard.