GSA fosters tolerance, acceptance

Natty Hubacz, Hailey Patrick, Drew Callipare, and Bridgitte Anderson attend a GSA meeting. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

Students seeking a safe place with acceptance and tolerance should look no further.

Bear River’s Gay-Straight Alliance, or GSA, is a club that welcomes all students with open arms. Their main goal is to create a safe and accepting environment for all people of any sexual orientation, gender or identity.

The club meets every Thursday in room B-202. Bethany Williams, a Bear River counselor and adviser for the GSA, said the club’s goal is “to educate and inform all students in order to create a culture of acceptance at our school.”

Breeze Davis, one of the co-presidents of GSA, said the club is “an outlet for community service ideas and a way to connect with the whole school.”

To raise awareness about both the organization and their message, the GSA is planning a number of events for students to be involved in.

“GSA plans to host a movie night for the whole school,” said Kaylee Guerra, a GSA organizer. “(We are) hosting activities such as Mix It Up Day and a National Day of Silence.”

GSA officials said they have made some changes for the new year.

“This year we are going to change it up a bit,”said Guerra. “The meetings will be shorter, we will provide updates on upcoming activities and events, and provide information on pressing LGBTQ+ related issues.”

Anyone interested in joining GSA is welcome to stop on by. Club officers said they are always looking for new members.

“Come to the meetings, we welcome anybody of any sexual orientation,” Guerra said.