Homecoming, a circus of Bruins

Dylan Scott, a sophomore, gets clown make-up applied while Noelle Rivett, a freshman, laughs. Photo by Bella Batula

Bear River didn’t clown around during Homecoming week.

School leaders planned a whole week of activities to pump up Bruins, including the Homecoming game, spirit days, a rally and a dance centered on a circus theme.

Going into the Homecoming game, Scott Savoie, the Varsity football coach said the team was well-rested and prepared. He expressed excitement to watch starting quarterback Bradley Dzioba, a senior. Dzioba said he was also eager for the game.

“I believe that with our training and workouts that the coaches have prepared us, for a nice game,” Dzioba said.

Peyton Turner, a senior two-back and corner, said the homecoming game meant a lot to him.

“Its kinda a big deal that it’s my last homecoming game,” he said.

Ultimately, the Bruins lost to Marysville Indians 14-21.

“I think we played pretty tough,” Savioe said. “We came up short in the end.”

In addition to the Homecoming game, Bear River still made time for fun. Spirit days included a week full of support for the 9/11 survivors,  patterns, floaties, squads, a rally and class colors.

“(Spirit Days) are the best,” said Kasey Patrick, a sophomore. “No one cares if you have too much school spirit — they care if you don’t have any.”

Even the principal got into the action.

It gives me an opportunity to be silly and make a complete fool of myself,” said Principal Amy Besler. “I will do nearly anything to make students laugh!

Some people didn’t like the whole idea of this week’s Spirit Days.

“If am going to be honest,” said Ally Lang, a sophomore. “I wished they had better ones. Last year they were 10 times better and a lot more fun than this year. It’s kind of weird Spirit Days that no one can dress up for.”

The rally also received less-than-stellar reviews.

“It was just kinda tiring,” said Macey Borchert, a sophomore.

For some students, the rally was a time for victory.

“I was so excited but they woke me up with scary clown masks,” said Brittany Rogers, a sophomore Homecoming princess. “I’m still happy that I won.”

“I was excited that all my friends got to see my video it was funny,” said Dylan Scott, a sophomore Homecoming prince.

Even with the loss of the Homecoming game, Bear River students still had a dance to attend. Students gave the dance rave reviews. Selina Breeze, a freshman, described the dance as being “one of the most fun nights she had.”

“Everyone was dancing and it was so fun,” said Scarlett Barone, a sophomore. “The whole week of homecoming was a blast.”