Float builders get in the spirit

Sophomores Connor Castorina, Dylan Sinclair and Sage Rechenbach work on their class float. Photo by Mia Deen-Baum

Primary colors and circus craziness adorned Bear River’s Homecoming floats this year.

Bruins involved in Spirit Week gave it their all in order to make their class float the best circus extravaganza on wheels. Students said they tried to be creative in applying the circus theme to their floats.

“This year the class of 2018 will have the best float they’ve seen so far,” said Bella Batula, a junior. “After all of the stress we go through to make them, it is satisfying to see them in action.”

Jaytyn Collier, a junior, was also is confident in the class float.

“I feel like this year we are really prepared compared to previous years,” she said. “We are all smiling because the stress is over with.”

The sophomores were also sure about their class float being a success.

“The Sophomores are basing their float off of the 4th season of a TV show called “American Horror Story,” which has a circus/freak show theme,” said Pippyn Carney, a sophomore.

Asked how volunteers felt about doing so much hard work, students said a little recognition is always welcome.

“A simple thank you for all of our work is all we need,” said Chris Stevens, a sophomore.

New to the Homecoming ritual, freshmen also had a good experience building their first float this year.

“Us freshman are going with a carnival theme,” said Olivia Bohrer.

“(Mr.) Reid is always there to help us if we need it,” explained Cameron Pratt, another freshman.

Bohrer chimed in, “He doesn’t do a lot of the building with us, but he always guides us.”

Timothy Reid, the agricultural mechanics teacher, has been advising the float build for seven years now.

“The Juniors are looking pretty good, but the seniors have some trapeze going,” said Mr. Reid. “They do all the work, I direct them on how to construct the floats, but all the design is student-driven.”