Editorial: Homecoming theme was a decent spectacle

Editorial cartoon by Desi Kreiter

We at the Bear River Current were seriously concerned about this year’s recent Homecoming theme: Circus.

We were concerned about a few things… We didn’t think that there was a way to dress up for the dance. It just didn’t sound fun. It just seemed juvenile.

But, as the week progressed, we soon found out that the theme was more successful than we anticipated.

When talking to ASB Advisor Matt MacDonald about how they came up with this theme he said the idea was not new.

“This was one of the prom ideas for a while and they all thought they could do some really fun props and have a really good time with it,” Mr. MacDonald said. “But we definitely had huge debates on what to wear for a circus-themed dance. We talked with Principal Besler about it and found that most high schoolers have formal dances. People weren’t really showing up to those, so we made this one not formal even though the winter one is.”

The Current did some more snooping around to see what others thought about the Circus theme. To our surprise, it was a hit with many students.

“I think it’s a very original theme, kind of a weird one in my opinion but it will allow kids to let out their inner circus freak,” said Clayton Anderson, a sophomore and running back on the JV football team. 

At this point we were all swaying on whether or not the theme was fun or just plain childish.

“A bunch of almost adults dressing up like this is childish,” explained Mr. MacDonald. “But, it gets people to get more involved and we usually try to find something fun that everyone gets incorporated in.”

Many Bruins agreed.

“It’s been an idea for a few years now but this time we just went for it,” said Kaylee Bohrer, a junior and member of Leadership. “We ran into a few obstacles but we later decided that overall anything could be in the circus.”

Despite our reservations at the beginning of this whole Homecoming week, The Current admits that perhaps there was value to the circus theme after all. In reality, there were fun moments and many Bruins had a great time. And, to top it all off, the dance was great!