Bear River falls to Miners

Jared Pittsley leads off third base. Photo by Cat Renner

Bear River struck out of luck during Thursday’s game.

The Bruins’ Fall Ball team ended with a loss on their 12th game of the season against Nevada Union with a score of 9-3. Since there isn’t a Junior Varsity in Fall Ball, all the grades play together.

Coach Eric Van Patten said he felt good going into the game.

“Nevada Union is two divisions higher than us but playing NU (Nevada Union) gets us better,” he said.

Players were also hopeful going into the game.

“We have to do our best and play as a team,” said Justin Dooley, a senior. “We have to have our bats to start off and be on top of the ball the whole game.”

“We need to make solid contact and not try to hit home runs,” said Cole Winters, a freshman. “Us as a team coming together and working as a team, would help to get a win.”

“My goal going into the game is to get the ball on the field and to strike out batters,” said Joe Rantz, a senior.

However, in the end, the team ended the day with a loss. Afterwards, Coach Van Patten weighed in on the game.

“It was the little things like watching third strikes go by and making a few too many errors,” he said. “…But we have a good group of boys. They work hard.”

Players also reflected on the game.

“I didn’t play that much but in the innings I played, I think I did well,” said Nathan Van Patten, a sophomore. “I only made one error, but other than that it was pretty clean.”

“I think I played to my full potential,” said Dooley. “Today I think my offense was better. I ended up going 1 of 1.”

Dooley was the first to get on base after he was hit by a pitch. He then stole 2nd and 3rd base but was not able to score. He later singled in the same game.

Bruins never quit fighting. In the last inning, they scored three with Jared Van Vlack’s triple. However, Bear River rallied too late and fell short to Nevada Union.