Season change is catalyst for colds, better study habits

Sophomore Gabe Kenes braves the cold at Bear River. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

Work ethics rise as the temperature falls.

As summer has come to an obvious close, Bruins are noticing how the weather is effecting their high school study habits.

“It is cold so I don’t want to go to school,” said Haley Walters, a senior.

Agreeing with her take on the situation Stephanie Merrill, a junior, chimed in.

“When the classrooms are cold, it makes it harder to focus … ‘cause you are too cold,’” Merrill said. “It is making me sick, which makes it harder to learn.”

This time of year is definitely known to increase students’ chances of catching a cold.

AP Science Teacher Jennifer Weir gave a teacher’s perspective on the season change.

“It does effect my personality when I wake up and it’s dark outside,” she said.

Since it is not an exact science, the weather has different effects on different people. Some may view the cold weather as an excuse to stay home and in bed, while others look at is as an opportunity to get school work done. In contrast to the negative impact of the weather transition, Walters expresses a positive outcome of the rain.

“Since it is raining more, I will be home … and have more time to do homework,” she said.

Most people do not think of the time gained when the weather becomes grey and cloudy. Many look at it as a restriction to their outside activity but, from a positive outlook, it could just be the time reserve needed to accomplish school work. 

Camden Criesco, a junior, said rain meant extra focus.

“When it is raining, I want to be more inside and I am more into what I am doing,” he said.

“I do think students focus more on school work during the fall,” Weir agreed.