Despite nerves, Fall Concert takes the stage

Choir members sing during the Fall Concert. Photo by Calvin Bailey

The Bear River Band and Choir is trying to get into the rhythm of things, but it seems they could use a tuning.

On October 27th, the Bear River music program performed their first concert of the year, the Fall Concert. By many accounts the performance left room for improvement.

“It certainly wasn’t perfect, but I think the level … leaves room for improvement,” said Band and Choir Teacher David Ahrens. “As far as improvements, that’s the nature of what we do. … The performer always has some level of self critique.”

“I thought I did good but there’s always room for improvement,” said Jackson Blashford, a senior in Choir. “We could always be better.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing the choir improve,” said Mary Foles, a senior in Choir. “It was a little bit frustrating because people weren’t applying themselves. Overall, as far as the singing went, it was fun.”

The Fall Concert was the music department’s first performance this year. Many people said that first-time jitters created some difficulties.

“This is actually the first year we’ve done a performance this early since I’ve been here,” said Mr. Ahrens. “Some of the students are just beginning on their instrument. The whole concept of being in front of an audience is new. Some of the little mistakes… those little nervous mistakes, go away.”

“I felt it’s as good as what could be expected,” said Blashford.

“I feel, considering the fact it was our first performance this year, it was okay,” said Foles. “If we were all a little more dedicated, we would have had the potential to do better.”

“We were very prepared but, since it was the first performance, we were all very nervous,” said Lydia Fuller-Hall, a freshman in Band. “It was very nerve racking but, it was very fun to be apart of.”

Band and Choir members expressed their excitement for the rest of the year.

“I’m looking forward to the rest of the concerts and all the different competitions, and improving musically,” said Fuller-Hall.

“I’m looking forward to all the other concerts and just having a fun year with everyone in Choir,” Blashford said.

“I am excited to see myself grow,” said Foles.