‘The Hype’ is rock for Bruins, by Bruins

The Hype, including sophomore Cal Wilson, juniors Matt Snyder and Lukas Brodie, and senior Trace Anderson, perform at the Talent Show. Photo by Brandon McGinnis

The Hype was real at this year’s annual Talent Show.

On February 23 and 24, Bear River held its 11th annual Key Club Talent Show which featured a band that captivated audience members and ended with a standing ovation.

Talent Show Coordinator Jeff Carrow said bands are often a part of the annual show.

“Out of the 11 talent shows I’ve put on I’d say about 9 of them had a band involved,” he said.

Carrow said that this act was special amongst all of the other bands he has seen come through the school.

“I think the crowd really loved them and our sound crew mixed everything wonderfully,” he said. “I thought Trace and Lukas both had really good vocals, that added to the performance a lot.”

Carrow talked about his favorite part of having a band performing in the show.

“I always like having a band because we often have a surplus of singers so the band really lifts up the energy level throughout the crowd,” he continued. “I felt like they were really enjoying themselves and the crowd definitely could feel that.”

The band consists of four members, senior Trace Anderson, rhythm guitar and vocals, juniors Lukas Brodie, lead guitar and vocals, and Matt Snyder, drums, and sophomore Cal Wilson, bass guitar.

Trace Anderson was the driving force behind getting the group together, but Matt Snyder had an important part in the idea as well.

“I’ve been a part of the band since it was conceived but I would say me and Matt were the founders of the band. Me, Matt, and Cal always had this idea of a four piece band and we knew that Lukas Brodie could really fill that lead guitar part,” said Anderson

Cal Wilson was approached by Trace Anderson at the last minute and asked if he was interested in becoming the bassist for the band.

“I had never even met Cal but we asked him if he was interested and he learned his part,” he said.

Wilson further explained.

“They asked me around 2 days before last years talent show if I wanted to be a part of the group,” he said.

Brodie, the newest member, took on a key role in the band after they parted ways with their previous guitarist earlier on in the band’s career.

“We’ve been a band for a little over a year,” he said, “but about 9 or 10 months ago I became apart of the band.”

Trace Anderson goes on to explain on how “The Hype” became their name.

“The band’s name was extremely last minute,” he said. “Carrow said we needed a name at last year’s talent show. I threw out ‘The Hype’ and the guys were cool with that and we went with it. I’m pretty content with the name, we can’t collectively think of a better one at this time.”

Matt Snyder is proud to be apart of a band with such a promising future.

“I think we strive to get some sort of success,” he said. “After playing the talent show for two years in a row I think we’ve proven ourselves as a band.”

Sophomore audience members Pippyn Carney and Rebecca Bowler shared their thoughts on how well The Hype did at the Talent Show.

“I loved The Hype and Lukas Brodie’s solo act,” said Carney. “I thought they did really great and the standing ovation they got was well deserved.”

They both especially thought that Trace stood out from the band.

“Trace stood out because of how much he ran around and how into he got,” said Carney.

“I thought Trace looked really comfortable and aware of what to do on stage,” said Bowler.

Music is the band’s main focus at this point, as they record music and practice often. They hope to produce some songs and share them with the world as soon as possible. Keep your ears open and lookout for The Hype.