Top 5: The Best Holidays

Photo by Claudio Schwarz
Thanksgiving, the best of the holidays

Holidays are important for us to have fun, celebrate, and remember. So these are my top 5 holidays.
5 – Memorial Day
Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the U.S. military personnel who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces. From 1868 to 1970, it was observed on May 30. Since 1971, it has been observed on the last Monday of May. This is number five because the next four have some regular things that we do from them. But this is important for us to remember the fallen of all the wars that let us and the world have freedoms.
4 – Independence Day
Independence Day, known colloquially as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the Declaration of Independence, which was ratified by the Second Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, establishing the United States of America. This is where this is because of the fireworks shows that are so fun — that is if you don’t start a fire. It is also the only holiday that is not in the school year on this list.
3 – Halloween
Halloween, originating from ancient Celtic festivals, has evolved into a widely celebrated holiday known for its spooky and festive atmosphere. Observed on October 31, it involves dressing up in costumes, trick-or-treating, carving pumpkins into jack-o’-lanterns, and attending themed parties and events. While particularly popular in the United States, Halloween’s influence has spread to various parts of the world, captivating people of all ages. This is here for all the candy you can get.
2 – Christmas/Hanukkah
These two are grouped together because they have the same qualities and have close to the same date. Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a significant Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem. Celebrated for eight days and nights, usually in December, it symbolizes the miracle of a small quantity of oil lasting for eight days, as recounted in Jewish scripture. Observances include lighting the menorah, playing dreidel games, indulging in traditional foods like latkes and sufganiyot (jelly-filled donuts), and exchanging gifts. Hanukkah holds deep cultural and religious significance for Jewish communities worldwide, fostering a sense of resilience, faith and unity. Undoubtedly one of the most celebrated holidays worldwide, Christmas commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ in Christian tradition. Observed on Dec. 25, it transcends religious boundaries, embraced by people of various faiths and cultures. Festivities typically include decorating Christmas trees, exchanging gifts, attending religious services and enjoying festive meals with loved ones. In the United States, Christmas holds particular significance, marked by iconic traditions like Santa Claus, caroling and elaborate light displays. This is here for all the nostalgia of waking up on Christmas and getting presents. The reason it is not No. 1 is because of the stress in picking gifts
1 – Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a national holiday celebrated on various dates in October and November in the United States, Canada, Saint Lucia, Liberia and unofficially in countries like Brazil, Germany and the Philippines. It is also observed in the Dutch town of Leiden and the Australian territory of Norfolk Island. Originating from early harvest festivals, it celebrates gratitude, abundance and the blessings of the past year. In the U.S., Thanksgiving falls on the fourth Thursday of November, marked by lavish feasts featuring roasted turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and other traditional dishes. The holiday also encompasses parades, football games and volunteer activities. This is just a good time to be thankful for things in your life like family and friends, or just give something to the less fortunate.