Painful lunch tradition is a crowd-pleaser

Josiah Cregar, a sophmore, throws a ball at sophomore Calder Kunde. Photo by Bella Batula

Bear River isn’t dodging another opportunity to play in the Lunch Time Activities games.

Since early April, students have participated in the annual dodgeball tradition, known as LTA, that is held in the McCrory gym.

Activities Director Matt MacDonald shared some insight on how the LTA committee came to be.

“This started about eleven years ago,” he said. “The idea came up around the same time the 2004 film ‘Dodgeball’ came out. The first lunchtime dodgeball game is what really kicked off the LTA committee.”

He elaborated on how popular the game was and still is.

“The first year we did it people loved it and it became an every year thing from then on,” he explained. “It’s been the biggest lunchtime game we’ve played. Dodgeball is always the favorite sport to play, we get the most teams.”

This year, the members of the LTA committee who directs the dodgeball games consist of Jeremy Cunningham, a junior, and seniors Kyle Wooner, James Lavelle, and Bradley Dzioba.

Cunningham, the Junior LTA Coordinator, explained how long he has been a part of the committee.

“I’ve been an LTA all year but they wanted me to prove myself and see how well I could handle it,” he said. “ I feel so far I’ve done a pretty good job.”

He went into further detail on how he keeps a record of the wins and losses of the game.

“I’m going off of every week and then I create a bracket for the upcoming week,” he said. “Hopefully we can play two or three games everyday until the finale.”

Sophomore Trae Nix, an alternate player for junior Aaron Sassville’s team, explained how he enjoyed having the chance to play.

“I had a lot of fun out there and I would definitely go out and play again given the opportunity,” he said.

Junior Jacob Rivett took the initiative by putting together his own team.

“I started our team, which consists of Jordan and Porter Elliott, Caleb Edwards, Nathan Van Patten, and Johnny Calleri,” he said.

Rivett explained when the championship will be held and how enthusiastic he was.

“The championship game will be held on Thursday, April 27,” he said. “The game will be best three-out-of-five matches and I’m so excited.”

Senior Mason Riffey encouraged more people to participate in this friendly lunchtime event.

“Everyone should just do it,” he said. “It’s super fun and even if they don’t think they’re good enough to.”

Desi Kreiter contributed to this report.