Tennis season smashes expectations

Josephine+Wilting%2C+a+junior%2C+is+the+Ladies+Singles+PVL+Champion.+Photo+by+Bella+Batula++
Josephine Wilting, a junior, is the Ladies Singles PVL Champion. Photo by Bella Batula

The Bear River Tennis Team surpassed predictions by bouncing back and coming out on top for the PVL Championship Tournament.

On April 27, Bruins stole a surprise victory in the PVL Championship held at the Auburn Racket Club where Josephine Wilting, a junior, took the title of Single-Girls Champion.

Coach Jeff Carrow talked about how pleased he was with the outcome of the tournament.

“The PVL tournament went really well,” Carrow said. “We had Josephine Wilting win the entire tournament as the single-girls champion. That was extremely exciting.”

Unfortunately, Josephine was the only player who had a total victory for the team.

“Several of the doubles teams won a couple rounds but we did not get to the finals, so the only person moving on will be Josephine,” Carrow explained.

Wilting said she was proud of her team and their accomplishments.

“I won my match, but the team didn’t win,” she said. “We almost made it; it was a close game but I’d say we did pretty good.”

Breeze Davis, a senior, said she enjoyed the experience of playing alongside her close friends.

“The tournament was really fun even though I personally didn’t do my best,” she said. “I still had a good time supporting my friends and teammates.”

Players on the team were shocked by their victories and how far the team made it. Senior Romeo Connors was one of these people.

“I would definitely say that for the team we had we shouldn’t have made it as far as we did,” he said. “We beat just about everyone except for the top two teams and I felt that overall our team really wasn’t that excellent.”

Junior Savannah Thrasher also thought that this year was a fluke.

“Even though we had a bunch of new inexperienced players come to make up this year’s team we still did very well,” she said. “I’m sad that we couldn’t have gone farther but I think we ended well.”

Even Coach Carrow thought that this year was one of a kind.

“The season went really well considering how many seniors we lost from the team last year. I honestly thought the team did great in picking up the slack and committing to having another successful season,” he said.

The group made it to the first match of the playoffs, but did not get a victory so there journey ended there. Connors felt that the game could have gone either way.

“We lost the playoff game but we certainly could have won that because it came down to a couple tie-breaker games that we ended up losing even though it looked like we were going to win,” Romeo said.

Connors was still optimistic about the ending of the season.

“I’m still really happy with the end of this season,” he said.

Davis was also happy with the season and got the most out of it that she could.

“I think throughout the course of this year I got a lot better and my partner had never played before so it was cool to help her through her first year,” she said.

Thrasher said she was proud of her team and her coach for all they have accomplished and how far they have come.

“This was a great season for us and I believe it was Coach Carrow’s sixth year making it to playoffs which is very exciting,” she said.