Water Polo team looks to score this season

Freshman Cora Kunde gets ready to distribute balls for practice. Photo by Gage Young

The Bear River Water Polo team is ready to send ripples through their opponents this season.

The water polo season has just begun and everyone on the team is ready for a very exciting year. The assistant water polo coach Meghan Sutherland is very confident in the team’s ability to reach sections even with a lot of new players. 

“This season we have 17 girls and 15 guys and a lot of newer players but they all have great potential,” she said.

Sutherland followed up by explaining where all her confidence was coming from.

“I think our team has a lot of potential and a lot of new potential because of the new players,” she said. “This year and we will be able to go to sections.”

Senior goalie Jaytyn Collier gave some insight on how this year is different compared to all the others due to the influx of all the new players.

“I am very excited,” she said. “We have a lot more new students because we had a very large amount of freshman join and we are able to have a Junior Varisty and Varsity team rather than just 14 people on the varsity team … I think we are gonna work well as a team.”

Collier was very optimistic for the turnout of this season and confident in the team.

“I think they are all doing very good” she said. “The first day they just got down to business and they are catching on very fast with what we have to do and they are just doing very well and I think they are going to be very good, “I think we will be able to make it back to sections this year.”

Freshman outside attacker Emma Cutter, one of the many newcomers to the water polo team, was very excited to kick off her very first season of water polo.

“(Water Polo is) pretty hard sometimes but pretty fun,” she said. “Warm-ups are 8 laps and then we do egg beaters and stuff like that.”

With Cutter being new to the game, it’s different and something new for her.

“I am a little nervous but our first game is against Napa and I’m excited,” she said.

Junior center defender Maggie O’Callaghan was very enthusiastic when asked about this year’s season.

“I’m super excited” she exclaimed. “There are a lot of new people and so it will be a very good year for growth, there are new kids coming out literally everyday. Sometimes they are a little slow but eventually they get the hang of it, it’s great.”

O’Callaghan continued on to talk about how great the coach is.

“Coach Daryn is very good.” she said. “(She is the) best water polo coach around, she really knows how to push her players.”