Riedel on a roll as new Student Services Specialist

Student Services Specialist Lorita Riedel helps Camden Criesco, a senior. Photo by McKenna Hisaw

A new office staff member is now present at Bear River High School.

The main office has welcomed Lorita Riedel, a new Student Services Specialist. Mrs. Riedel is new to the front office after the retirement of Cindy Olson. After being in Special Ed for the past 15 years, Mrs. Riedel said she sought out a change.

“I’ve been doing Special Ed for 15 years, and I just felt like I wanted a change, and I saw this opportunity and it looked like fun because I’d still be with the kids,” Mrs. Riedel said. I love it! It’s so much fun, it’s totally different. This just moves super fast-paced. I loved going to classes when I was in Special Ed, but here it’s kids and people doing stuff.”

Mrs. Riedel initially had some doubts about her new position.

“I got hired that Monday (before school),” she said. “It’s been good, I’ve had lots of help … There is a lot of responsibility and I think what scares me is not always knowing, ‘Am I giving it to the right people? Or giving information that’s really confidential because I’m not trained enough.’”

Intervention Specialist Nancy Smith said she has complete faith in her previous colleague in Special Education.

“She’s an awesome person,” she said. “I think she’s doing a fabulous job. It wouldn’t matter what job she was in she would do a great job. She’s easy to work with and yet she can tow the line when she needs to. … She is a go-getter, she knows what needs to be taken care of. She’s great help with the kids.”

Students said they enjoy having Mrs. Riedel in the office.

“I love her,” said Zach Tener, a senior. “She’s polite, really funny, has a good sense of humor. She gave me an apple onceShe greets me nicely and always says thank you when I am done with the period.”

“I think she’s really nice and sweet, and very helpful in the office,” commented Caitlin McLaughlin, a junior. “Anytime anyone has a question, she’s always doing her best to help out.”  

Site Technician Stephanie O’Callaghan was also enthusiastic about Mrs. Riedel working in the front office.

“Cindy was great, but Lorita is stepping in and filling her shoes nicely,” she said. “I think that she’s intelligent, friendly, and up for the task.”