Lights dimming on Gouveia’s teaching role

Dance Teacher Joyce Gouveia instructs Dance I students. Photo by Morgan Ham

After over two decades of inspiring Bruins through her Dance classes, Bear River Teacher Joyce Gouveia plans for this year to be her last at the school.

Many students, such as senior Angelina Matteoli, are worried that with Ms. Gouveia leaving, Dance will disappear from Bear River.

“I don’t really know who’s going to teach dance,” said Matteoli. “I don’t really knows who’s going to take it next year because she’s been the Dance teacher for so long.”

Ms. Gouveia expressed that she feels it’s important that Dance continues after she is gone.

“I hope they don’t get rid of it because they need it,” said Ms. Gouveia. “There’s a lot of people that really depend on Dance, and it’s really a good place because it gives them a place to belong.”

Although many are sad that Ms. Gouveia is leaving, students, such as sophomore Logan Lapkass, are able to reflect on the ways that she has helped them throughout their high school careers.

“She was really helpful, like she wouldn’t just drag the whole class along,” said Lapkass. “Like, if some kid didn’t understand it she would actually help that kid.”

Matteoli agreed that Ms. Gouveia has had a positive influence on her life.

“She’s helped me with dancing, and taught me everything I know about dance,” said Matteoli. “She really helped me grow as a dancer and as a person.”

Junior Jennille Cayton agreed that Ms. Gouveia is an excellent Dance teacher.

“She really taught us the basics of what we need to know for Dance and it really helped me to become a better dancer,” said Cayton.

Overall many students are sad that Ms. Gouveia is leaving and unsure of how the Bear River community will be affected, but they are able to look back and see the ways that she has taught them.

“I think she’s one of Bear River’s greatest teachers, so it will be pretty hard on the school,” said Lapkass.