Seniors slaughter Juniors in Powderpuff game 21-7

Seniors Lauren Glomson and Alli Herbert run the ball against Junior Jenille Cayton. Photo by Brian O’Brien

Senior Powderpuff players pulled some flags at the game to defeat their Junior opponents.

On October 4, Bear River High School’s Powderpuff game took place on the football field, with the Seniors winning 21-7. Dozens of Junior and Senior Bruin girls faced each other in an epic showdown.

Activities Director Matt MacDonald explained the history of Powderpuff at Bear River.

“Powderpuff’s been going on since I was in high school here at Bear River, so that was probably 2000,” Mr. Macdonald said. “… I think it was just, we used to do it in the spring, I remember that, and I think it was just kind of a fun thing that  people wanted to do, so it started that way.”

Even though Powderpuff is a fun sport, that’s not it’s only purpose.

“Powderpuff, it’s something that obviously is kind of a fun thing for the community, but we use it as a fundraiser for the associative student body,” Mr. MacDonald said “I think last year we generated about $1000 and the year before about $1000 that we (give) right to the students for the associated student body.”

Brittney Rogers, a junior, told about how leadership is advertising the event.

“It’s up on the whiteboard in the quad,” Rogers explained. “I think there will be signs when it gets closer because all the girls that are playing right now know when it’s gonna be.”

Before the game, Logan Jenkins, another Junior, was excited to be a new coach.

“I wanna beat the seniors but that’s gonna be tough, seniors always win,” Jenkins said, “… I think ever since my sister was in high school they kinda wanted to do Powderpuff and I thought it was kinda cool that the football players gotta be one of the coaches.”

Going into the game, players told about how they wanted to test their abilities and challenge themselves.

“I wanted to be able to like participate in the school and get involved,” Junior Kasey Patrick said. “I want to understand football and I’m excited to challenge myself against my friends to see how good I am.”

“(I want to) learn more things about football and get closer to people in my grade.” Jenille Cayton, a junior, said. “I’m most excited about actually playing on the football field and excited for the signs that people are making me.”

After the game, Jenkins elaborated on what went wrong for the Juniors.

“We didn’t come in there super prepared, we could have been more prepared but we didn’t know what to expect,” he said. “You know, it’s junior year, you don’t know what to expect so senior year were gonna come out strong. We’re gonna do good and we’re probably going to win next year.”