Volleyball Team eager to serve up wins

Seniors Kylee Dresbach-Hill, Kayla Toft, Mallory Rath, and Julia Bohn, regroup with fellow team members Juniors Callie Bickmore and Caitlin McLaughlin after their former play. Photo by Gage Young

The Lady Bruins Volleyball team is ready to spike their PVL opponents.

This years volleyball season is just beginning and the team has a very hopeful outlook on the way the season will turn out.

Coach Matt MacDonald talked about how he’s excited for the season and expressed optimism about making it to sections.

“I feel good, the last 4 or 5 years we have gone to sections semi finals,” Coach MacDonald said. “Last year we made it to Nor Cals and that’s our goal which is to get to the final four of our section and see if we get the opportunity to play a state playoff game.”

The players on the team are very happy with the way preseason has turned out.

Senior Karinne McDonald, who’s a middle blocker on the varsity team, was very excited for this season.

“The team is coming together, and playing Placer for the last time in PVL is pretty exciting,” she said. “It’s gonna be very exciting, there will be a lot of competition.”

McDonald expressed her positive feelings toward her coach.

“I love Coach MacDonald so much, he is so funny and he is a great coach and helps me out a lot,” McDonald said.

Other players were excited for the season. Sophomore Alayna Fassler who is middle blocker is ready to keep the momentum of preseason going. 

“Practices have been going good so far,” she said. “We have won most of our games even though they’re preseason games. We do a bunch of drills for our practices and it’s nice.”

Junior Evie Vandervort, a back row defending passer, is excited for league to start and is hoping that the team will achieve their goals.

“Achieving our goals and coming more together as a family is exciting.” she said. “Beating Colfax and Placer for sure and making sure that we are together.”

Coach MacDonald elaborated on the long road the team has ahead of them.

“I think that we know what our identity is as a team and we just try to just enjoy the process,” said Coach MacDonald. “It’s a long season, we are gonna probably play over 40 matches. We’re halfway through the season now and I think that we are getting better each day and working well.”