Starlite losing beloved choreographer

Choreographer+Anna+Pierce+directs+Starlite+performers.+Photo+by+Taylor+Wohlgemuth+
Choreographer Anna Pierce directs Starlite performers. Photo by Taylor Wohlgemuth

The choreographer for Starlite Express is moving on to the next chapter of her life.

Starlite choreographer Anna Pierce plans to move just north of Philadelphia, Pa. this December due to the area having more opportunity for her family to grow.

“Nolan (her husband) is from that area, so he has a lot of friends and family that we’d love to raise our family around,” said Mrs. Pierce. “And Nolan also got a job where he can get a Master’s Degree for free!”

Many Starlite members, such as junior Katrina Ecke, are sad to see Mrs. Pierce leave.

“I think it will be hard for the group overall because everyone’s sort of become close with her, and everyone loves her choreography,” said Ecke.

Although many, such as junior Shelby Beghetti, are sad, they are also able to recognize the importance of this move and happy that Mrs. Pierce is moving onto the next portion of her life.

“I’m super excited for Anna to just be with her family and, like, be able to settle down now that she’s had her baby,” said Beghetti. “I also kind of feel sad for her because every time we talk about her leaving Starlite, we all just cry.”

Bear River’s Music Teacher and Starlite Director David Ahrens believes this year’s program should not be affected.

“Well, it’s going to have an effect on Starlite primarily in the future,” said Ahrens. “It shouldn’t have that much effect this year.”

Mrs. Pierce agreed that Starlite will be on track for learning their dances in the time restrictions set in place.

“This year, I had anticipated us moving at some point, so I planned it out and made sure we’d have enough rehearsal time to do the same this year,” said Mrs. Pierce. “We are actually ahead of schedule right now.”

While they are dealing with this loss, Starlite participants are also trying to find a replacement for next year. Freshman Jamie Stroer believes someone will be found that can adequately replace Mrs. Pierce.

“Yeah, some of the other people seem to know some people that sound promising to fulfill the job,” said Stroer.

Senior Trey Jarman disagrees.

“I don’t think so,” said Jarman. “The thing that Anna has over almost all other choreographers is her experience at Bear River and the relationships that she has with her students, so I think that is going to be something that is really hard to replicate.”

However, Mrs. Pierce is very optimistic about finding someone new.

“Some have gotten back to me with options that I am looking into currently,” said Mrs. Pierce. “I love Starlite so much, so I am so hoping to find an amazing person to take my place.”

Overall, Starlite is suffering a huge loss but the group is able to reminisce on the past, and look toward the future.

“Starlite has been such a blessing to me over these past years,” said Mrs. Pierce. “I will miss choreographing for them so much. Whoever replaces me is so lucky to have this awesome job.”