Bruins exploring military career options

Jacob Thomason, a senior, is enthusiastic about the prospect of joining the military. Photo by McKenna Hisaw

Military recruiters are fighting for Bruins to join their forces after graduation.

Recruiters for the Army and the Marines have come in to multiple teachers’ classrooms to brief students on alternate paths they can take after high school and what it’s like being a part of the U.S. military.

Sara Noah, an English teacher, talked about why she supports the military.

“My father served in the peacekeeping forces after WWII in Germany from 1950- 1953,” Mrs. Noah said. “My son, James, studied at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs and is currently working at the LA Space Center for the Air Force doing space and satellite communication research.

Mrs. Noah went on to explain how the military is not for everyone, but how serving for our country is for the greater good.

“I don’t think the military is for everyone, but I think it is a very good option for some people, especially in regards to on-the-job training and options for paying for college,” said Mrs. Noah. “I also think serving in some way (not necessarily just military) would be a good thing for all young people right out of High School, whether it is a National Park, Conservation Corps, Peace Corps, State Parks, State, local, or national government, etc.  Giving back to the community is an excellent way to grow and mature as a person.”

Karrine McDonald, a senior, talked about her interest for the military and how recruiters helped her understand more of the benefits.

“I do have an interest going into the military,” she said. “It would be a great opportunity to fulfill my duties as an American and to make my family proud and find new things about myself that I never knew before. They didn’t talk me into it and they helped me understand all the benefits …  I think they are strong willed you have to be a certain person to join the military you need to have the work ethic and the drive to do something better for our country.”  

Cat Renner, a senior, explained how joining the military would be a great chance for some of the students at Bear River.

“I do not have any interest going into the military but I think it would be a great opportunity for a lot of the kids here. I do like the recruiters coming in and talking to us because it gives us a personal connection to someone who has done the military service and it gives the people who want to join the military gives them a personal interest and point of view of what it’s like.”

Camden Criesco, a senior, expressed his passion for military.

“I definitely have an interest in going into the military,” he said. “At this point, I’m thinking the Air Force more so and then the Navy, but I haven’t talked to any of the recruiters yet so I don’t have any final decisions. I’ve talked a little bit with our local marine recruiter and that’s kinda helped a bit just knowing a little bit more about the different branches and military. I think it’s really cool that the recruiters do come in and talked to us and telling us things I really didn’t know before.”