Hiking Club in step with Bruins

Natalie Hubacz, at center, is all smiles. The senior is the president of Bear River’s Hiking Club. Photo by McKenna Hisaw

Put on your hiking boots and go on an adventure with Bear River’s Hiking Club.

The club meets every other Friday in A209 at lunch to discuss and vote on which trails they want to hike on, which are selected by the club officers. English Teacher and Club Advisor Toby Barmeyer talked about what kind of locations they tend to explore.

“In the Hiking Club we take students interested in the outdoors and go for a walk together,” she said. “During our outings, we go on trails that are nearby the Grass Valley area. It could be at the Confluence in Auburn, near the Yuba River, or in the Tahoe area. Students vote at lunch during our Hiking Club meetings among a selection of trails that the club officers pick.”

Like the famous saying goes “Leave the world a little better than you found it,” the Hiking Club makes sure to do just that.

“We often choose trails that aren’t difficult or strenuous so as to appeal to all types of hikers,” said Ms. Barmeyer. “During our hikes we talk, listen to the sounds of nature, and often collect random litter left strewn on the ground. It’s a nice bonding experience to connect with students and each other outside of school.”

Natalie Hubacz, the Hiking Club’s president and a senior, explained how the Hiking Club is a great avenue to meeting new people with similar interests.

“I like that we all just get out and go hiking and have a good time and like, even if you don’t know each other, you all know that you all like hiking, and you just get to meet other people,” she said.

Hubacz gave her reasoning behind creating the club in the first place.

“I had a friend move here last year from Georgia, and she didn’t know much about our local area, so I was ‘oh, it would be fun to show her around, and it also looks good for colleges,’” she explained.

Mallory Borrego, a senior, discussed why she decided to join the club.

“Both of my parents are nature enthusiasts I’d say,” she said. “They really enjoy the outdoors, and I was like, raised in the national parks and stuff, so I just really enjoy it.”

Julia Bohn, also a senior, agreed with Borrego’s views on nature.

“I love the outdoors, and anything outdoors, so I figured I might as well get with a bunch of other people together and go hiking,” Bohn said.

Ms. Barmeyer described some big plans she has in store for the club, as well some of the activities the club does outside of hiking.

“We ideally would like to do an overnight hike at some point, but this may occur during the late spring,” she said. “We were thinking of doing the overnight hike near Boreal. I also took a few Hiking Club students whitewater rafting over the summer since I am also a whitewater rafting guide.”

Borrego explained who motivates her to continue taking part in the club and its activities.

“Natalie Hubacz for one, the club president, she always likes to go outside every chance we get,” she said. “Even if it’s not for the club, we’ll go on an adventure, and go see a new trail.”

Ms. Barmeyer encourages any students who are interested at all in hiking to talk with her about joining.

“I would encourage anyone who is interested in the outdoors and likes a good conversation to consider joining,” she said. “The group is full of amazing, intelligent, and fun individuals.”