Early Sections loss ends Varsity Volleyball season

Senior Kayla Toft sets the ball to Junior Callie Bickmore during a Varsity game against Nevada Union. Photo by Gage Young

For the first time in years, the Girls Varsity Volleyball Team got served a loss at their first game of Sections.

The Bruins faced their Sections match Escalon, resulting in a disappointing end to their season. Despite having an amazing team and coach, players reflected on not making it past the Sections match.

Senior Kayla Toft shared her insights of the season-ending game.

“I feel really upset that our season is over, but we played a really good game, and I think we grew a lot as a team together, and got a lot better as the season went on,” she said. “They played better than us that game. I have learned how to work with the team, and to bring everyone together, and to play together with really positive energy. And overall just bonding with our team.”

Senior Karinne McDonald expressed how upset she is that this is her last season. She also shared lessons she has learned while playing volleyball.

“It was great,” McDonald said. “As a senior, my last year in high school volleyball was somewhat exciting but scary at the same time. Knowing that the season was going to end sometime or another, and at the beginning of the year I just didn’t want to face the fact. I had a great season. I learned a lot about my teammates. It was a good experience overall. It’s very sad because I knew that we could have done better at Playoffs. We were up by 6 points but we got too comfortable; they just played better. We just didn’t push.”

Head Volleyball Coach Matt MacDonald reflected on the season and his memories of his senior players.

“We had a great year,” MacDonald said. “It was good. I feel like it was the year that we made a lot of growth, a lot of progress as the year went on. It was super fun. You know I have been with those kids for a long time since they were in Magnolia, most of the seniors since they were in 7th-8th grade. So we have been together for 6 years and it has been great.”

Coach MacDonald expressed his feelings about what happened at Playoffs.

“It’s one of those things,” said Coach MacDonald. “We pride ourself on kinda being an elite program, one of the best programs on campus historically. Just with our record and our ability to have a lot of success at Playoffs.That’s something we embrace as a program, and obviously this year we had an earlier exit than we have had historically, in the last 11 years. And that’s something that is tough, but we talked about it as a team and I don’t think there is anything different that we would have done. We expect to go far every year, as some teams are happy to just make Playoffs.”

Junior Hope Chylewski discussed her enthusiasm about the season and how much she learned about volleyball over the past 6 years.

“My experience in volleyball this year was very amazing,” said Chylewski. “… The most challenging thing for me was my skill level wasn’t as high as the others on the team. It was very challenging, but I worked up to their skill level and I am very proud of that.”

Despite the season ending early, Chylewski was still proud of the team.

“I have learned quite a lot actually,” she said. “You can never be better if you don’t push yourself.”

Coach MacDonald shared his final thoughts about the Playoffs.

“It was definitely a good experience either way and we learned alot and we will be back next year for sure.”