Bruins: Drug-sniffing dogs add to campus safety

Tim Highsmith, the School Resource Officer at Bear River, says that drug dogs promote safety on campus. Photo by Taylor Wohlgemuth

Bear River is an overall tranquil school, with many Bruins appreciating the drug dogs who visit campus and nuzzle through lockers and classes searching for prohibited items.

School officials and most students agree that the presence of the drug dogs is a positive.

“You know, I think it’s a good thing and I think that it really helps,” School Resource Officer Tim Highsmith said. “It’s a great thing to have and it really helps discourage kids from participating in that behavior or helps dissuade them to not conduct in that kind of behavior which is good.” 

“They’re a big help with helping keep campus a safe place and making everyone feel like it’s a safe environment,” Freshman Savannah Proctor said. “They are a positive thing because it helps kids that don’t want to be a part of (illegal behavior) and it can help lessen the likelihood of peer pressure on kids to do drugs since there won’t be as much drugs around.” 

Most Bruins agreed that the drug dogs, overall, promote safety and positivity on campus. However, some students don’t think the dogs should be on campus. Some said they felt slightly uncomfortable with the dogs around. Others said they felt angsty, uneasy or just annoyed when the dogs are brought into class.

“Yeah, I have had drug dogs sent to my class,” Senior Taylor Hamilton said. “All it did was put the students outside in the cold and they didn’t even find anything, so there was no reason for it and we just lost class time. I think that they affect campus in a negative way. I think that the drug dogs are pointless.”   

Despite mixed opinions, most thought the dogs added to a safe learning environment for Bruins.

“They’re honestly cute and I want to pet them,” said Sophomore Alexis Canepa. “My opinion … is somewhere in the middle. Drug dogs weren’t at my last school in San Jose, which is surprising because there were lots of drugs going through there. They are good for catching people in the act and making school safer overall.”