Editorial: New Year’s resolutions, fulfilling or futile?

Editorial cartoon by Desi Kreiter

It’s the first day of the year. You feel powerful, you’ve made your resolutions and you know you’ll be a better person because if it.

Three days later, you’re stuffing your face full of cheesecake you bought on impulse. You’re buying Starbucks and avoiding the gym. Your room’s a mess and your parents are already mad at you.

That’s the moment you realize, resolutions are pointless promises.

A New Year’s resolution is a self-made promise to change an undesired trait or behavior someone sees in themselves, to hopefully achieve a personal goal or improve their lives.

Some students on Bear River’s campus believe the tradition is pointless and has little to no value or impact in their lives.

Freshman Shane Preis felt no impact by the new year and and that resolutions were a waste of time.

“Well, it’s 2018. I don’t know, it doesn’t really feel that different,” said Preis. “I think making a resolution is kind of stupid, and people won’t follow through with the resolution.”

Students around campus feel like New Year’s day is almost like a scapegoat for people to try to better themselves, but eventually the promise that’s made falls through to be attempted to fix in the next year.

“I don’t make resolutions, I just don’t believe in them,” said Sophomore Ben Overmire. “I feel like people that are making resolutions just feel like they need to tell themselves to fix something instead of just fixing it almost like an excuse.”

We at The Current believe that the tradition of having New Year’s resolutions, although they are a nice thought and cool to have, are just promises that are made but aren’t followed through with until the next year when the same process is repeated.

“I feel like it is just a new number, like nothing significant is gonna come out of this year,” said Junior Andrew Johnston. “I get why people make resolutions, they do it for a good purpose but nobody really sticks to it.”

Among the students that don’t find a purpose with New Year’s and the resolutions that come with it, there is someone who sees happiness in it all. Jeffrey Carrow, a social studies teacher, is brought joy by the tradition.

“I’m optimistic about the New Year, I always feel like the New Year is kind of a good start to sort of re-evaluate all the things that are important in your life,” said Jeffrey Carrow. “Me and my daughters resolution is to be open, loving, tolerant, and giving as we possibly can so it’s a little more emotional.”