Column: Homecoming was the same old grind

Nevada Union Sophomore Olivia Bohrer, Senior Kaylee Bohrer, and Sophomore Alex Bohn hang out at the “House of Cards” Homecoming Dance. Photo by Jakob Berger

Homecoming is made out to be the night where you dance with your friends, win the big game, enjoy good food and drinks, and have that one special slow dance with your crush.

However, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. In reality, Homecoming is a room full of sweaty teenagers grinding to bad music. I witnessed this as a Freshman at Colfax and Bear River is no exception to the rule.

Before attending the “House of Cards” Homecoming, Bruins expected the same old music and same old experience. Many confirmed that these expectations were met.

Junior Savannah Yonkers commented about the monotony of school dances.

“Every dance has the exact same songs,” said Yonkers. “We want to listen to what we wanna hear.”

In other words, the same old trashy rap music isn’t cutting it. Students are tired of hearing Gucci Gang. They want music that inspires dancing, not grinding.

Campus Supervisor Ralph Lewis reflected on the amount of inappropriate dancing he had observed at Bear River events so far.

“I didn’t have any more interactions from the Fall to this dance. The students and staff were just (physically) closer,” Mr. Lewis said.

I’m not the only one who has noticed a large amount of grinding. Most students agree that it’s inappropriate and should be kept at home.

Sophomore Homecoming Prince Jett Livingston explained that grinding attracts people, but is not very savory.

“Grinding does bring more people to dances, but I didn’t go because of it,” said Livingston.

Sophomore Lydia Fuller-Hall agreed about the issue with inappropriate dancing. Even people not going to dances for grinding still find themselves getting rubbed up on. 

“I just don’t like people’s bodies on me,” said Fuller-Hall.

Food is also an issue at dances. Sophomore Aries Daniels was disappointed in the lack of snacks.

“For a big guy like me, I need a lot of food and dances don’t have that,” he said. “For a dance with $12 tickets, any student would expect something to eat, even if it costs more.”

Overall, Homecoming was considered a bust.

Yonkers concluded that, “It wasn’t as fun as other dances.”

In the future, if the grinding was stopped, there was food and decent music, dances could be a blast for many Bruins. Until then, you can find me, and many others, at home with a movie.