Track athletes ready to make their mark

Sophomore Grace Billingsley jumps a hurdle. Photo by Morgan Ham

Bruins jump hurdles throughout the intense Track season, but say it’s all worth it when they reach the finish line.

This year’s 2018 Track and Field team has started off with a bang, and they are still thriving. Track and Field includes events in sprint running, long distance running, relays, pole vaulting, high jump, long jump, triple jump, discus, and shot put.

Alexa Templeton, a freshman, shared why she wanted to participate in Track.

“Since I do Volleyball I want to be faster,” she said. “I thought Track is basically running a lot, so why not try it.”

Senior Camden Criesco explained his love for Track and Field.

“I started doing Track in 4th grade,” he said. “I love running and Track; it just seem like a good opportunity for that, that’s what kinda got me into it.”

Bruins shared the hardships of doing Track.

“The hardest part is when we do some pretty hardcore workouts,” said Templeton. “There’s a lot of running and a lot of core workouts, which I never thought you would be doing that for Track.”

For some, a lack of Track is the hardest thing to cope with.

“Not doing Track is the hardest part,” Criesco said. “I had an ACL and Meniscus injury sophomore year so it was hard not being able to be a part of it. I guess when I was a part of it was the hard work, but the hard work is good though.”

Athletes said that new friendships form through Track.

“I have made some new friends,’’ Templeton said. “I guess I haven’t been social with the older classes and now it’s like oh there’s a sophomore girl who is so sweet to me and lives in Penn Valley. I didn’t know that til Track.’’

Senior Kaylee Bohrer agreed with Templeton.

“The best part of Track is all the friends throughout the year,” she said. “This will be my fourth year on Track and so definitely all the friends I’ve made.”

The team said they are a tight-knit group that shares in all of their accomplishments.

“Sharing the experience with my teammates is amazing,” said Criesco. “Making goals and progress and all my other teammates having success and just being a part of the process.”

Coach Scott Savoie shared why he loves coaching the team.

“Track is hard and I think when kids get involved in it originally, they don’t realize how hard it really is,” said Coach Savoie. “To see kids that show up everyday and work hard and see them just get better. … The cool thing about Track is that it’s very measurable. You can measure your change and your improvement, so it’s cool to see kids you know get results, that’s the best part.”

Though it may be difficult, some Bruins choose Track and Field over other sports.

“My freshman year, I had to decide between Soccer and Softball, and I wanted to do something new and that’s when I joined the Track team,” said Bohrer.

Bohrer throws discus for Bear River.

“The hardest part is being one of the only girl throwers on the team and just not having any girls on the team,” she said.

Bruins said that Track is an inclusive sport that can have a long-lasting impact.

“Well I competed in Track and Field in high school and I helped out a little bit in college and I think it’s a great sport,” said Coach Savoie. “First of all its co-ed, boys and girls out there. There is literally something for everyone out there. There’s things for people who don’t like to run, things for people who run distance, kids who can jump. It’s also a good sport for kids who are getting ready for another sport, for instance Track is a good sport for Football players”

Bear River has plans for an improved Track facility. Until then, the lack of a quality facility has been the cause of the lack of home meets.  

“I think the hardest part is our facility,” said Coach Savoie. “We have got the only dirt track in the league, therefore we don’t have any home track meets and that’s tough. The good news is that we are going to have a band new all-weather track so kids that are on the team right now are really gonna be set up for a great situation next year.”