Review: Hilarity ensues during ‘Bee’ production

The cast of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” performs on Thursday, April 19. Photo by Taylor Wohlgemuth

Bear River Theater’s production of Rachel Sheinkin’s “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” is not one to miss. With musical numbers (composed by William Finn and choreographed by Sara Noah) that make you want to get up out of your seat and dance along, to moments that leave you laughing until you cry, this show is one for the books.

The show debuted on Thursday, April 19th, and was also performed on April 20th, 21st, and 25th. It will continue its run Thursday, April 26th, and Friday, April 27th.

Adding a musical element to a school play can often lower participation interest for student auditions, and such was the case with the already-small drama program at Bear River. However, Drama Teacher and Play Director Sara Noah made it work by giving multiple roles to each actor.

The cast features Sophomores Scout Pettitt as Leaf Coneybear, Jordan Moore as Rona Lisa Perretti, and Adam Merrill as Chip Tolentino, as well as Juniors Jack Kendall as Olive Ostrovsky, Julia Halverson as Mitch Mahoney, Mackenzie Martin as Logainne SchwartzandGrubenierre, and Nick Tan as Vice Principal Panch. The same set of actors had side characters that they played for short amounts of time.

Although the performance had only a few voices, they were all strong, and although the set for the play was very simplistic, it worked for the show considering the singular location. The simplicity allowed for the characters’ colorful personalities to shine.  

The show easily kept audience members engaged, in part by inviting them on stage to participate in the spelling bee. One lucky girl is also chosen each show to be Marigold Coneybear, Leaf’s sister, who plays a slight role in the end result of the contest.   

Despite the comedic themes that are the forefront of the show, character development makes the play more meaningful, as you get a peek into the life of each of the contestants. This is shown by way of flashbacks throughout the show, and songs sung by each of the characters.

To encourage support for Performing Arts, many teachers are giving extra credit to students who go see the play and can prove their attendance. This gives incentive to teenagers to participate in school events, as well as enriches their minds, making it worthwhile for teachers to extend this opportunity.

Bear River Theater’s production of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” is not quickly forgotten, so for all those who have not yet had the chance to see this wonderful performance, seize the opportunity before the curtain goes down for the final time.

— Sonora Slater contributed to this