Journalism shows ‘Coraline’ for Fall fundraiser

Bear River’s Journalism program is hosting a family movie night in the theater on Oct. 16. Photo by Sonora Slater

‘Coraline’ will be shown at the Bear River Theater at 6:30 p.m. on the night of Tuesday, October 16th, hosted by the staff of The Current as a fundraiser to benefit student journalism. 

Theatre Manager Erin Beatie was asked what the cost of attendance was and where the proceeds will go.

“The Family Movie Nights have a suggested donation of $5.00, but attendees are welcome to pay more …” said Mrs. Beatie. “We want everyone to be able to attend, so this is truly a donation based event. 100% of the donations and proceeds from concessions collected will go towards the club hosting the movie of the evening.”

Many clubs and organizations besides The Current have made plans for movie nights of their own.

“The clubs that signed up to host are Leadership, Drama, Photo, Odyssey of the Mind, Journalism, FFA, Bear River Music, Yearbook, Ceramics, and Video Club,” said Mrs. Beatie.

The Current’s Executive Editor Sonora Slater, a junior, revealed how she thought the fundraiser would do.

“I think the fundraiser will do really well, especially because there’s a whole series of movie nights and we’re not at the beginning, we’re not at the end, we’re right in the middle,” said Slater. “So people are like, ‘Oh yeah, these movie nights are happening every once in a while.’”

The movie was a collaborative choice between the editors of The Current, which is a lead organization.

“The editors of The Current picked the movie collaboratively, [me], Morgan Ham, Annabelle Owyoung, etc., and [the Journalism teacher] checked it,” she said. “We had to make sure it was suitable for a family movie night.”

Features editor Annabelle Owyoung explained the hoops they had to jump through to get a movie approved.

“It was really difficult to find a movie that would be approved,” she said. “We had a few lined up at first, but we were quickly turned down for the reason that horror movies aren’t allowed as it’s advertised as a family movie night. As such, we were driven to look for a movie that was generally appropriate for all audiences.”

Slater explained why Bear River students should come to the movie night.

“People should come, first of all, because it’s “Coraline,” and it’s going to be a really cool movie,” she said. “It’s just a really cute, kind of scary animated movie in October, so it totally fits the spooky theme, but is also a good idea to support the journalism program …”

Students had differing opinions on whether the choice of “Coraline” was appropriate. Some like Sophomore Madison Barrett thought that it was a good idea but had some downsides.

“I think, for a Halloween movie, it’s really cute, but there are a bunch of different other movies that would’ve been more Halloweenish,” said Barrett. “If the school would’ve let us play a horror movie, more people would go …”

Junior Alexis Canepa was more positive about the movie choice.

“Halloween is coming up, and I know a lot of people like Halloween and the fall season,” said Canepa. “It puts them in a good mood, so since Halloween is coming up, I think it was a good choice.”

— Morgan Ham contributed to this report.